Pop’s Brine Broken Down for Information.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hi everyone. I am a newbie to curing meat. My dumb question is concerning Pop's brine: Can you substitute pink Himalayan salt for the Kosher salt? Thanks in advance.
I’ve not tried it but will say there are more impurities in Himalayan salt than kosher salt and that could cause a problem in the brine after 10-14 days. I’m really not sure of what those impurities are exactly.

Thank you for posting this. I've never totally understood this until your explanation. I see people share methods where they take a brine very similar to Pops inject some of it into the meat ( to speed up soak time) and then submerse it and refrigerate. Am i correct in thinking that injecting a brine at that ppm nitrite and then submersing is not an a safe method?

When i've wet cured i've used the weight of the water plus the weight of meat multiplied by .25% instacure #1.

Thank you for posting this. I've never totally understood this until your explanation. I see people share methods where they take a brine very similar to Pops inject some of it into the meat ( to speed up soak time) and then submerse it and refrigerate. Am i correct in thinking that injecting a brine at that ppm nitrite and then submersing is not an a safe method?

When i've wet cured i've used the weight of the water plus the weight of meat multiplied by .25% instacure #1.
Pop’s brine is very safe to inject then cover, in my opinion it works best this way on larger cuts, really not needed on thinner smaller pieces.

Pop’s brine is very safe to inject then cover, in my opinion it works best this way on larger cuts, really not needed on thinner smaller pieces.
Thanks, is there any books etc on injection then cover curing that you recommend? I trust your opinion but would like to read more for my own knowledge.

Thanks, is there any books etc on injection then cover curing that you recommend? I trust your opinion but would like to read more for my own knowledge.
Marianski, Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages.

Thats the one I would recommend. But the process you are asking about is very straightforward and only requires you to inject about 10% of meat weight as brine then cover with the rest of the brine. Not complicated at all.

And on a related note, It's common practice to inject basic flavor brines (that don't contain Cure #1) into thicker items, then cover with the remaining brine.

For instance, I might use an apple juice and salt covering brine on some pork chops for 3 or 4 hours. But if I use the same brine on a pork loin, I will inject some of the brine as well as cover with the remaining. Other things I inject would be turkey breasts and chicken breasts.

Reactions: JC in GB
Marianski, Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages.

Thats the one I would recommend. But the process you are asking about is very straightforward and only requires you to inject about 10% of meat weight as brine then cover with the rest of the brine. Not complicated at all.
+1000. There are couple of illustrations in there that sold me on injecting. Kinda seems weird at first but the results speak for themselves.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Good info. I recall Pops saying it was their intent to be on the low side and if memory serves me correctly the Fassett family worked with USDA or other agency to dial it in legally. I like me some salt but that full strength was way too salty for me. The Low Salt (and mild cure) version is FANTASTIC on poultry where you want a light effect.
That's what I have been using for a few years on pork belly and with additional spices on poultry. I know there are other methods but I am happy with the results as are the circle of friends who I share my BBQ with.

Reactions: zwiller
Hi everyone. I am a newbie to curing meat. My dumb question is concerning Pop's brine: Can you substitute pink Himalayan salt for the Kosher salt? Thanks in advance.
Some have mentioned question marks about the mineral content, but there is also the question of whether your Himalayan salt is iodized or non-iodized. I have had both, and had made the assumption my first stuff did not have iodine added - I was mistaken and had to order the non-iodized version to make smoked salt. As apparently iodized salt does not taste great when smoked in various products.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky