Pit boss pellets question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
tallbm, fortunately, with the MAK, I don't have any issues with the cooker producing enough smoke. I do like the heavier smoke flavor profile that is produced by my WSM and Primo Ceramic. When I had a Trager and a GMG, I had an issue getting the smoke flavor I like and had to use the tube and other smoke generators, however with limited success. When I got the MAK, I was able to get rid of all the smoke gens. That said, I always stuck with 100% flavor wood pellets, until now.

Ah I see. Yeah I don't have an issue with blends as long as the blend is what you are looking for rather than what you are being tricked into getting hahaha.

I have enough 100% Lumberjack options that I blend them myself. When I need run of the mill or I'm unsure I go with the Pit Boss Competition Blend (M/H/C) and mix it 50/50 with [EDIT: I forgot I have Perfect Pellet 100% Hickory not Lumberjack Hickory, all others are Lumberjack though] Perfect Pellet Hickory so I can kick up the flavor a notch. It works out well for chicken, ribs, etc. etc. I'm kinda funny with Hickory where too much of it makes everything taste like bacon to me so I'm basically cutting down the hickory this way :)

My favorite for bacon and sausage is 70% Apple and 30% Hickory!

Last edited:
I do have some LJ bags left, so in the future, if I feel the need, I may take your advice and do some mixing. I don't think I've ever had too much smoke flavor, lol.

They say the auger feed smokers need the hickory to keep burning. It they word the bag to s seem like it is 100% Apple. Pure corporate dishonesty.

They say the auger feed smokers need the hickory to keep burning. It they word the bag to s seem like it is 100% Apple. Pure corporate dishonesty.
I agree that there should be some kind of labeling that tells you exactly what's in the pellets, rather than just a clearly misleading single "Hickory" on the bag and saying 100% Hardwood. All of that leads one to believe that the only wood in the bag is Hickory. In this case, the pellets contain only about 30% Hickory, according to the maker.
I've never read that auger fed pellets smoker need Hickory to keep burning. Also, the fact that the pellets are blended is not necessarily and bad thing, as we see by the replies, so why doesn't everyone print it on the bags?

Reactions: Peter Plantec
I agree that there should be some kind of labeling that tells you exactly what's in the pellets, rather than just a clearly misleading single "Hickory" on the bag and saying 100% Hardwood. All of that leads one to believe that the only wood in the bag is Hickory. In this case, the pellets contain only about 30% Hickory, according to the maker.
I've never read that auger fed pellets smoker need Hickory to keep burning. Also, the fact that the pellets are blended is not necessarily and bad thing, as we see by the replies, so why doesn't everyone print it on the bags?

My guess as to why they don't print it on the bag is because the average consumer is ignorant. They go for Hickory and see "Hickory" on the bag and think they are set where if it said 70%Alder 30% Hickory they may think "I'm looking for hickory not this Alder stuff".

I think in the end the manufacturer is trying to keep their cost as low as possible while "satisfying" the ignorant consumer. I believe the manufacturer thinks everyone wins this way and causes less confusion.

Now to us more savvy consumers it just comes off poorly on the manufacture. Also because we are more savvy we know exactly what we want and we pay a little more money to get it AND it legitimately costs more money so we understand that and are fine with it.

Now I believe some brands do print it on the bag. I believe Lousiana Grills does so but I can't remember.
It's all so screwy but like with most things in the world, the educated and savvy win the game :)

Reactions: Peter Plantec
tllbm...you're right, I think, but it's hard to know for sure. I wish a pellet maker would chime in and tell us what's really going on and either confirm what you're saying or provide us with the right answer.

I spoke directly with the BBQ Delight people and they told me that the only people who buy the big bags use them in auger feed smokers. The also said that they have been advised that the 60% hickory or alder needs to be there just to keep those smokers feeding and burning properly. I believe them, because their 1 lb bags of Orange wood for example are 100% but their 40 lb bags are 60/40% mixes.

I spoke directly with the BBQ Delight people and they told me that the only people who buy the big bags use them in auger feed smokers. The also said that they have been advised that the 60% hickory or alder needs to be there just to keep those smokers feeding and burning properly. I believe them, because their 1 lb bags of Orange wood for example are 100% but their 40 lb bags are 60/40% mixes.
A local Country Hearth and Home fireplace/pellet grill small shop in town has the large bags of BBQ'rs Delight and I never got them and knew it was a % of Alder etc. but they have the 100% 1lbrs. I did get. They did have Orange and I was wondering how you like it, if you used it. Just wondering if citrus fruit woods have a more distinct, pronounced, identifiable flavor for Salmon. They do have the BBQ'rs Delight Jack Daniel's charcoal with a little Oak barrel dust in it. It's the burned down Sugar Maple mellowing charcoal they drip JD through. It has a great flavor like grilling over charcoal and wood but doesn't taste/smell like whiskey. It lights very easily in the Amnps and mixes well with any other pellet flavor. I want to try it with Todd's Mesquite pellets and compare to the straight up mesquite. It seems they don't move a lot of pellets so I might have to pick up a spare 20lb. bag @ $24.00. It was $16.00 a year ago.
20180427_094646.jpg
20180427_094258.jpg

By the way...just used the Pit Boss Apple on a pork butt over nighter. They worked out great, with plenty of smoke flavor on the butt. Wish I could do a side-by-side with Pit Boss vs Lumber Jack on a cook, but I could never make that happen.

As for the orange pellets from BBQ delight, they really do impart a wonderful flavor to smoked chicken for example. I smoked some chicken with pure orange in the stovetop smoker, then put them in an orange juice based sauce and cooked them for a short time in the oven. The result was wonderful. I tasted the chicken before the sauce and it definitely had a sharp delicious smokiness. Same on Salmon...the smoke is almost spicy.

I don't buy what they are saying. They are blending them because it lowers their cost and makes them less expensive. Lumberjack and other's sell 100% flavorwood pellets, including apple and other fruitwoods, specifically for the pellet grill market and never heard of anyone having a problem with them burning properly.

By the way...just used the Pit Boss Apple on a pork butt over nighter. They worked out great, with plenty of smoke flavor on the butt. Wish I could do a side-by-side with Pit Boss vs Lumber Jack on a cook, but I could never make that happen.

If you don't mind spending a little bit of money you can buy variety packs of Lumberjack pellets in 1 pound or 3 pound sizes. I once did a 7 variety of 1 pounders and was glad I did so I could experience all the different kinds of woods and meat combos. After that I decided on which ones I liked and didn't and bought big bags of those versions form a local Lumberjack guy. Dicks Sporting goods seems to now carry lumberjack online so no need to find a local vendor.

Let me know if you would like anymore info and I'll private message you the link to the variety pack website.

I don't buy what they are saying. They are blending them because it lowers their cost and makes them less expensive. Lumberjack and other's sell 100% flavorwood pellets, including apple and other fruitwoods, specifically for the pellet grill market and never heard of anyone having a problem with them burning properly.

I'm pretty much with you there. $$$$ is king with businesses, it's just the nature of making money. :)

Well you know what? I have to take back something that I said earlier. I just picked up a load of Lumber Jack 100% Hickory and also some 100% Apple. These 100% flavor wood pellets do in fact impart a better smoke flavor. I used some of the Apple on ribs and it was wonderful. I'm sold!

Well you know what? I have to take back something that I said earlier. I just picked up a load of Lumber Jack 100% Hickory and also some 100% Apple. These 100% flavor wood pellets do in fact impart a better smoke flavor. I used some of the Apple on ribs and it was wonderful. I'm sold!

That Lumberjack 100% stuff is magical. I'm glad you found and enjoy it :)

Ya...did a Group Buy and got lots of Hickory and Apple as well. I'm set for some time to come.

Ya...did a Group Buy and got lots of Hickory and Apple as well. I'm set for some time to come.
That's what I was wondering about purchasing Lumberjack brand pellets. Finding the dealer with the best shipping. I clicked on a link that took me to the Lumberjack site and in detail Lumberjack described the parts of wood that makes up their pellet but they only sell to dealers. I have 100lbs. of Todd's pellets that are great but I just know it's 100% that specie but not knowing if it includes bark or just the heart of the wood etc. Then wonder If I'm missing out on a flavor profile. I wish I had detailed information about Todd's pellets like Lumberjack discloses or if they are Lumberjack. What I like a bout Todd's A-maze-n products is that it's free shipping @ $49.00 and there are 2lb./5lb. sizes to try before getting a 20lb. bag and 40lbrs. online.

Todds may be LJ. Contact them and find out. If not, get in on a Group Buy in your area and you'll be happy as a lark.

I purchased a Traeger last Spring and have learned to appreciate pellet cooking. Have tried several brands of flavored pellets. Have had excellent results with any bag of Pit Boss pellets. The size of the pellets are smaller than some brands which makes feeding flawless. Low ash and consistent burns. Great flavors. Have used the Comp & BBQ blends, excellent and only actual advertised woods with no oak-alder. Purchased a bag of Apple and bag of Hickory. According to Pit Boss, they have either maple or alder to keep costs down. Depending on which plant made them and nothing on bag to indicate. Rule of thumb, if made East of Mississippi River, Oak is the filler, West of would be Alder. Usually 30% flavor with 70% filler. I am on West Coast and since Alder is mild, I never notice any difference when compared to 100% full real wood. For example 100% Applewood. If the bag says "100% Hardwood" it has the alder filler of 70%, or it might say "blend" like Lumberjack does. I purchased a bag of Lumberjack 100% pecan as indicated on bag. Bought 2nd bag online and did not notice the 100% HARDWOOD, not 100% Pecan. Once received, outside of bag says "Pecan Blend". You can always tell by price as well. Typically, I use the spendy 100% pure wood for the low smoking session, typically under 200 degrees. They burn slow and provide excellent smoke rings. Once smoked to 120 degree meat temp, I swap out pellets for the lower cost mix pellets and crank up the heat for final remainder of cook. This makes it more cost effective and the spendy 100% no alder filler wood last longer per bag. Our local grocery store sells Lil Devil BBQ Pellets for $4.99 2lb bag. They are a mix of Alder, Apple, Hickory, Maple, Mesquite according to the label and company. They are also very low ash, really surprised me. So I use the Lil Devil $4.99 20LB pellets when raising temp to 300 and above. Or when smoking Brisket or Pork Butt, after 5hr low temp smoke and I wrap in butcher paper, return to cooking rack. No reason to use expensive 100% only apple wood when the meat is covered. I use the cheaper brand for heating purposes. The first few bags of Traeger pellets I purchased last year were on sale $8.99 20lb bag. It was after I brought home 3 bags of all 6 flavors when I found out that 100% Hardwood means FILLER (alder in my area). My opinion is that like food, they should be required to print ingredients on bags label with percentages of each wood. Otherwise, 100% Hardwood is a form of false advertising to people who are new to pellet smokers, etc.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky