pipikaula venison

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks good. I would be interested in the recipe and procedure you used. Did a search and found info below...JJ

Hawaiian Jerky, just nowhere near as dry and tough. Lots of variation but Hawaiian Salt, Soy Sauce, Sugar, Garlic, Ginger and Chiles for heat. No Cure so either dry it in the Tropical Sun or use the Oven/Dehydrator method of 160-170°F to dry it. The result must be refrigerated

Tasty! Haven't had any since I was working in Kona. One of my workers brought it daily. Since I still have some kiawe guess I should make a batch!

Did you slice the meat then dry it or did you dry the cut whole? The guy who worked for me dried the whole steak (flank) then would cut off hunks for us. He also made this using short ribs that he butterflied. He wouldn't share his recipe as he sold the jerky at farmers market in Hilo. It had to be close to what JJ posted. He did dry it in boxes not the oven. 

I smoked it for a short time, not dried, in large pieces then sliced it.     It was extremely moist and I guess the flavor of deer, marinade, smoke made it outstanding.

This reminds me of a Marinade my Dad made. He called it Boy Scout Steak because he found it in a BSA news letter or something. The Recipe has been long lost. I marked this to try...JJ

I use ginger juice in my recipes. I think it makes a huge difference. This is a Hawaiian recipe , give it a try

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky