Pickling a Turkey with Pops Curing Brine

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I like the idea of doing the bone-in breast especially when there is no-one around to help consume a whole turkey.  I have read more about the uses for Pop's brine and look forward to trying it with whole Boston Butt roasts.  Thank you. 

I have a 12 pound turkey curing at home in Pops brine right now. I am looking to smoke it tomorrow.
I cut up the bird, taking off the backbone to save for stock, also removed the wing tips and drumstick ends. Also since my electric smoker doesn't get too hot, I already removed the skin. I figured the smoke and cure will penetrate the flesh much easier this way and I won't have to deal with rubbery skin again.

I followed the recipie for 1 gallon, except I only added 6 tablespoons of brown sugar. I also added some chopped onion, garlic, carrots and celery. I injected the bird and will cure for about 36 hours before starting the smoker. Looking forward to posting the results tomorrow.

Make sure you take pictures . I just did a 8lb chicken using this method . Came out fantastic . Did you use the whole cup of salt ? I only use 1/2 cup per the gallon , and match the sugar .

Hi everyone! I have the same question: what temp are you guys smoking at ? I went thought all posts but could not find anyone mentioned the temp you cooked your turkey. Were you keeping the same temp during the whole process or the temp was changed? I am planning to try Pop’s recipe/process for first time next week. Your input will be greatly appreciated!

Hi everyone! I have the same question: what temp are you guys smoking at ? I went thought all posts but could not find anyone mentioned the temp you cooked your turkey. Were you keeping the same temp during the whole process or the temp was changed? I am planning to try Pop’s recipe/process for first time next week. Your input will be greatly appreciated!
I’ve been thinking about doing a cured bird so I’ve been researching quite a bit, as near as I can tell that’s pretty much whatever temp you’d like. I’ve seen some done @225 all the way through but I’ve also seen some @275 trying to get a crispy skin and cut off some cooking time and they liked the results.

Reactions: pushok2018
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky