Pickle Brined Fried Chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bacon_crazy510

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 17, 2018
St Charles, MO
My wife picked up a pack of chicken thighs at the local market - I've been vacuum packing them with butter and various spices, and sous vide'ing them, but this time I had 2 left, and wanted to try something different.

My wife just finished a jar of pickles, and we always save the brine and soak hard boiled eggs in. I sweet talked her into letting me use this jar for some chicken, and she agreed to let me this time. (I did just buy another jar of dills, so it was an easy conversation!)

I put the chicken into the jar and let it soak for 3 hours.

After that I pulled it, dried it, and seasoned it with Tony C's Creole seasoning. I made the dredge with flour with a some baking powder mixed in for lift, along with a healthy sprinkle of the Creole seasoning. I whisked up an egg wash, and then did a double dip in the dredge - the second dip was a messy process! After the double dip, I set the chicken on a wire rack, and put them in the icebox for half an hour to let the coating set.

I fried the chicken in canola oil until it was crispy and delicious. I served it up with some potato salad and a couple of sweet pickle spears. I'll definitely be making this again.

thumbnail-8.jpeg
thumbnail-9.jpeg
thumbnail-10.jpeg

Chicken looks great . I've done this myself , and it comes out really good . Nice work on that .
My problem with dill pickle juice is that I drink it instead of using it for this!
Yup . Helps with dehydration / cramps from working in the heat . Used to take a jar of juice to work .

Reactions: bacon_crazy510
Chicken looks great . I've done this myself , and it comes out really good . Nice work on that .

Yup . Helps with dehydration / cramps from working in the heat . Used to take a jar of juice to work .
It does help. Since I'm pickling quite often. I usually have a pint mason jar of it in my lunch box in the summer. I usually get some strange looks when people see me drinking it!

Reactions: Brokenhandle
I have a solution for you Steve H Steve H ...

Interesting site. But I've got plenty of pickle juice. Thanks though. But you just lead me to something that really caught my eye.
BEST_PicklSpicy2419889_CF___master.png

Never heard of these. Or thought about making something like that. Snack sticks, eggs, and bloody Mary's, yes. And a couple of other things I'm thinking about. But not bloody Mary pickles.
You just sent me on a journey!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky