• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

PERFECT RIBS EVERY TIME! This really works!

SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jokensmoken

Master of the Pit
Dec 7, 2016
Thanks Al,
You're exactly right. Internal temp was the way I was taught to cook by my grandmama. It's a lesson I've never abandon. She even used a thermometer on her pies.
It wasn't till years later while reading a blog about pumpkin pies and inconsistent results that I realized that not everyone cooked that way.

remsr

Smoking Fanatic
Jun 8, 2014
No one I know cooks ribs to internal temp. Most look for pull back, bend and touch because that's the way most of us were thought. You were fortunate to learn that from your grandma. We are fortunate to be learning it from Al.

Randy,

jokensmoken

Master of the Pit
Dec 7, 2016
I just didn't know any other way to do it...I'm pretty much self taught when it comes to smoking and to me temperature control meant consistency.
This is the only forum I've ever read and I've only member a few months. Execpt for some basic rub ideas and pit temps I never really sought much advice.over the years. That being said, the combined knowledge and experience of the folks here is mind blowing. I wish I had started reading sooner because, over the last 10 years of trial and error I've had some great success but some EPIC failures (more success of late) and I've got to say my knowledge of what not to do is vast...
But you're right, Al and bear are two folks I follow closely and have learned much from.both.
Walt

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
I just didn't know any other way to do it...I'm pretty much self taught when it comes to smoking and to me temperature control meant consistency.
This is the only forum I've ever read and I've only member a few months. Execpt for some basic rub ideas and pit temps I never really sought much advice.over the years. That being said, the combined knowledge and experience of the folks here is mind blowing. I wish I had started reading sooner because, over the last 10 years of trial and error I've had some great success but some EPIC failures (more success of late) and I've got to say my knowledge of what not to do is vast...
But you're right, Al and bear are two folks I follow closely and have learned much from.both.
Walt
I'm glad to hear you are taking advantage of the combined knowledge this site has to offer!

There are a bunch of very knowledgeable folks on here who are willing to share their secrets & knowledge with everyone who asks!

That is what makes SMF so special!!!

Al

mike5051

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Feb 7, 2015

I'm glad to hear you are taking advantage of the combined knowledge this site has to offer!

There are a bunch of very knowledgeable folks on here who are willing to share their secrets & knowledge with everyone who asks!

That is what makes SMF so special!!!

Al
I agree 100%!  The folks here share ALL of their experience and lack thereof!  It is a unique atmosphere.  SMF is a great forum and I'm proud to be a part of it.

Mike

SmokinAl

Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
We are glad your here with us too, Mike!

Al

sportgd

Smoke Blower
Apr 21, 2016
Looks great!  I do like it when it about falls off the bone but am going to try this out to see what I think.

Apr 11, 2017
So, I tried your way this past weekend. One of the things done your way instead of mine is not prepping them over night, and yes! more of the pork flavor came though instead of to much rub. the silver skin did burn away like you said. I will go probably another 20 min. or so in the foil to make them just a little softer. but yes! your way did work very well! THANK YOU! I've been chasing that over spice issue for years. and that was an instant fix. after thinking about it, I guess in the competition's when they don't know what there protein is going to be, they only have like a 3 hour prep window and it comes out show ready.

remsr

Smoking Fanatic
Jun 8, 2014
Hey Al! I got my Thermapen today. Went for the $29.95 one and ended with the $110.00 one. I'm ready to take all the guess work out of everything I smoke, cook and grill.

Randy,

SmokinAl

Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009

Looks great!  I do like it when it about falls off the bone but am going to try this out to see what I think.
Thank you!

If you want FOTB ribs then just take the IT to 200-205.

Al

So, I tried your way this past weekend. One of the things done your way instead of mine is not prepping them over night, and yes! more of the pork flavor came though instead of to much rub. the silver skin did burn away like you said. I will go probably another 20 min. or so in the foil to make them just a little softer. but yes! your way did work very well! THANK YOU! I've been chasing that over spice issue for years. and that was an instant fix. after thinking about it, I guess in the competition's when they don't know what there protein is going to be, they only have like a 3 hour prep window and it comes out show ready.
I'm glad to hear they came out well for you!

Al
Hey Al! I got my Thermapen today. Went for the $29.95 one and ended with the $110.00 one. I'm ready to take all the guess work out of everything I smoke, cook and grill.

Randy,
Well I guess your all set now!

Those new models are nice!

Al

remsr

Smoking Fanatic
Jun 8, 2014
We like ribs with bite that come off the bone clean. I think 195 right? FOTB is over done for us and starts to get stringy.

Randy,

remsr

Smoking Fanatic
Jun 8, 2014
Yah this one is pretty sweet with a back light, the temp rotates 180 degrees so you can read it in any position it takes a AAA battery that lasts 3000 hours and turns off in 10 sec when you put it down and comes on immediately when you pick it up but more importantly it reads temps in 3 sec or less and comes with a certificat of calabration.

Randy,

SmokinAl

Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
We like ribs with bite that come off the bone clean. I think 195 right? FOTB is over done for us and starts to get stringy.

Randy,
Yep, 195 will get you what your looking for!

Al
Yah this one is pretty sweet with a back light, the temp rotates 180 degrees so you can read it in any position it takes a AAA battery that lasts 3000 hours and turns off in 10 sec when you put it down and comes on immediately when you pick it up but more importantly it reads temps in 3 sec or less and comes with a certificat of calabration.

Randy,
You have the Rolls Royce of instant read therms!

Al

Apr 29, 2017
NOW look what you've gone and done!  I was thinking of trying a Texas Brisket for my first ever smoke. But now, thanks to you and your instructions it will have to be ribs!  Are you proud of yourself?   LOL J/K!!!

Seriously though, from your step by step for Baby Backs, it seem quicker, easier, and maybe a little more room for error than trying a marinade, rub, smoking for 8 hours, and making  a Texas BBQ sauce (though I think I have found a pretty authentic recipe and a place to buy fresh jalapeno this time of year)!

Those ribs look great, I'm looking forward to building some for the family

Thanks!!!!!!

Last edited:

SmokinAl

Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009

NOW look what you've gone and done!  I was thinking of trying a Texas Brisket for my first ever smoke. But now, thanks to you and your instructions it will have to be ribs!  Are you proud of yourself?   LOL J/K!!!

Seriously though, from your step by step for Baby Backs, it seem quicker, easier, and maybe a little more room for error than trying a marinade, rub, smoking for 8 hours, and making  a Texas BBQ sauce (though I think I have found a pretty authentic recipe and a place to buy fresh jalapeno this time of year)!

Those ribs look great, I'm looking forward to building some for the family

Thanks!!!!!!
Thanks Billy!

Let me know how you like the ribs!

Al

slaughter

May 7, 2017
 I  want to try this recipe but want to use Jack Daniels chips. Will that change anything in your rub or will they go together nicely?

SmokinAl

Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009

I  want to try this recipe but want to use Jack Daniels chips. Will that change anything in your rub or will they go together nicely?
Jack Daniels chips are fine.

I use whatever wood is available cheap.

Down here it's oak & hickory.

Al

homesmokehome

May 1, 2017
Well Done my friend. Well done.
I roll called a few weeks ago after my wife surprised me with a smoker for my birthday. But haven't been able to use the thing till today. For my first smoke I did a whole chicken (spatchcock style) and it turned out fantastic. Now the wife wants ribs on the smoker.
Tomorrow after church. I will try to recreate your masterpiece. Wish me luck!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Top Bottom
Clicky