Pepper Identification

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dougmays

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Nov 18, 2010
Gainesville, FL
Hey pepper-heads,

i went to Pepper-Palooza at a local nursery a month ago and pick up several types of bells but also bought a couple varities i'd never heard of before....wanted to see if anyone could help me out with identification, spice level, usage, etc...

"Chicken Wing Pepper"

"Hot N Tasty"

The are all still green, waiting for them to turn color (assuming they will). The chicken wing peppers look like Xmas Tree peppers but a little more slender

Hello ,Dougmays, and my answer is an educated guess at the Chiles. The Wing Chile is (IMHO) a Serrano, very good all around variety. The other "looks" like a small - yet to develope- Ancho.

The Serrano's are great when they turn red but can be used green as well. The Ancho (if that is what it is) is great for stuffing(while fully filled out and still green), when they develope and fully ripene to red , they are dried and used in Sauces and Meat dishes. It is a mild type of Chile and when (after drying-the red ones) you can Roast them a bit and make a wonderful Enchilada Sauce...
drool.gif
Look for recipes in the Search tool at the top of the page.

Good Smoking , good growing and as always...

It's just a big guess without seeing (especially when ripe and ripening) and sampling them in person.

The first one looks a lot like Thai Giant, being that the fruits are upright, plump (which can vary from plant to plant) and the leaves are thinly cut:

Thai%20Giant.jpg

The second one looks a lot like Hot Portugal to me, they can look like what's in the picture you posted:

hot_portugal_A.jpg

~Martin

hey guys!

Martin i think your right on both!

I've grown seranos before and these are developing like them, i think my picture doesn't really show proportions well. But if i end up with Ancho's that'd be great to make some homemade chili powder

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky