Pellet tube problem

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jdr37

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 15, 2008
Florida
I have a 12" pellet tube and Traeger hickory pellets that I'm using in my 4 burner gas grill, using one burner with temp at 225 to 240. I keep the tube away from the burner being used so as not to "overheat" it but I can only get about 2 hours of smoke time from the 12" tube. And not a lot of smoke!!! New 20# bag of pellets stored in a sealed container inside AC house.
I thought I would get 3 to 4 hours from a full tube. Any ideas.
Thanks

I’m fairly new myself to it and have only used it a couple times so far on a brisket and a pork shoulder , I filled the tube about half way up - standing to fill , witch gave me a half tube laying for smoking .. I got 2 hours of smoke both times doing this , but it made a huge difference in smoke flavor I thought. I bought the tube and initial 2# of pellets as a combo from A-maze-N. Not sure if the pellets make a difference in them but ones I got work really good with it.

I have a 12" pellet tube and Traeger hickory pellets that I'm using in my 4 burner gas grill, using one burner with temp at 225 to 240. I keep the tube away from the burner being used so as not to "overheat" it but I can only get about 2 hours of smoke time from the 12" tube. And not a lot of smoke!!! New 20# bag of pellets stored in a sealed container inside AC house.
I thought I would get 3 to 4 hours from a full tube. Any ideas.
Thanks

I don't have a lot on the Tube, because when I tried it, I got too much smoke & no matter what I did, I couldn't tone it down.
I figure it's because I'm at a low altitude like you are in Florida, and the tube was actually designed for those in high altitudes that can't keep an AMNPS going. My AMNPS works perfectly for me & can get 11 straight hours per load.
That might be your problem---Are you getting a real heavy Smoke during those 2 hours???

Bear

Are you saying it won't stay lit , or it burns that fast but no smoke ?
I have not tried mine in a gas grill , but maybe that's why it burns to fast ( if that's what it's doing )
By not alot of smoke do you mean taste ? Does it flame up when you open the lid ?

Are you lighting it, then letting it burn for a few minutes, then blowing the flames out? I have the 12” tube, and have no problem getting more than 3-5 hours out of a half tube of pellets. I do cheese with it, 1/2 tube of pellets, and have left over pellets after three hours.

Thanks to all of you. I feel like an idiot. Today was the third time I used it and had problems the first two times. When I posted the thread I had glanced at the grill, thought it was out but after posting found it was still smoking quite well. I think the wind had disbursed the smoke and I was expecting the worst. Turns out it smoked quite well for 4-1/4 hours and I am a happy smoker.
Thanks again, sorry for the DUHH!

Reactions: wbf610
My tubes are collecting dust because I simply can't get it to do a slow smoke, as Bear said. It is quick and overly smoky. I'm sure it works under the right conditions. I simply don't have those conditions.

My tubes are collecting dust because I simply can't get it to do a slow smoke, as Bear said. It is quick and overly smoky. I'm sure it works under the right conditions. I simply don't have those conditions.
I use mine in a mailbox with a Mes 30
, as you know it's to much inside the box . I was still getting what looked like a freight train Goin up a hill . I started mixing wood chips with the pellets . Made a difference for the better . Great flavor , better burn time . Just by chance I shortened up the run of the duct and it went from good to great . There is a formula there that depends on where you live and conditions of the day . I found it by accident , but some smarts were also involved . I get 10 to 12 hours out of mine . It was a wtf when I started ,,,

I use mine in a mailbox with a Mes 30
, as you know it's to much inside the box . I was still getting what looked like a freight train Goin up a hill . I started mixing wood chips with the pellets . Made a difference for the better . Great flavor , better burn time . Just by chance I shortened up the run of the duct and it went from good to great . There is a formula there that depends on where you live and conditions of the day . I found it by accident , but some smarts were also involved . I get 10 to 12 hours out of mine . It was a wtf when I started ,,,

At first, you mentioned that you only used it for continuing long smokes. The above sounds like a departure from your previous statement. Is it safe to assume that since finding the "sweet spot" you use it more as the starting rather than closing smoker?

Not sure I understand the comment . I use it start to finish . Depends on what I'm doing .

I don't have a lot on the Tube, because when I tried it, I got too much smoke & no matter what I did, I couldn't tone it down.
I figure it's because I'm at a low altitude like you are in Florida, and the tube was actually designed for those in high altitudes that can't keep an AMNPS going. My AMNPS works perfectly for me & can get 11 straight hours per load.
That might be your problem---Are you getting a real heavy Smoke during those 2 hours???

Bear

At first, you mentioned that you only used it for continuing long smokes. The above sounds like a departure from your previous statement. Is it safe to assume that since finding the "sweet spot" you use it more as the starting rather than closing smoker?

After yesterday's experience I think I have the tube figured out. It seems to be all about the lighting scenario. If you get it too hot it will produce too much smoke and only last a short time (1 hour are less in 12" tube). If you don't get it burning long enough before blowing out the flame it will go out and require re-igniting. I also suspect that it needs to be on a grate so that air can get to it from underneath. Mine is hexagon shaped and I had it on a flat solid surface and had trouble keeping it smoking until I laid it on a grate and it then burnt perfectly.

After yesterday's experience I think I have the tube figured out. It seems to be all about the lighting scenario. If you get it too hot it will produce too much smoke and only last a short time (1 hour are less in 12" tube). If you don't get it burning long enough before blowing out the flame it will go out and require re-igniting. I also suspect that it needs to be on a grate so that air can get to it from underneath. Mine is hexagon shaped and I had it on a flat solid surface and had trouble keeping it smoking until I laid it on a grate and it then burnt perfectly.
Some use two muffler clamps to make four points to lift/support the tube up in the air.

I don't use the Tube at all. I have No Sweet Spot with the Tube.
I tried it a few times, and no matter what I did---Fill it halfway & shake it horizontally types of things, It still always put out too heavy a smoke. It is for smoking at high altitudes, and for people who have trouble keeping an AMNPS going.
So I went back to my AMNPS, and have been getting perfect Smoke for 8 years with my AMNS & my AMNPS.

Bear

I don't use the Tube at all. I have No Sweet Spot with the Tube.
I tried it a few times, and no matter what I did---Fill it halfway & shake it horizontally types of things, It still always put out too heavy a smoke. It is for smoking at high altitudes, and for people who have trouble keeping an AMNPS going.
So I went back to my AMNPS, and have been getting perfect Smoke for 8 years with my AMNS & my AMNPS.

Bear

I must not have been reading correctly the other day. Ignore me.

Pack the tube tight as you can get it with Dave's coarse pellet dust and the AMNTS Oval will produce beautiful TBS for about 8 hours.....
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...be-will-burn-daves-coarse-pellet-dust.284931/

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky