Pastrami IT?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SherryT

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 23, 2017
Crawford AL
OK guys, I have my eye of round pastrami (courtesy Al's recipe) in the smoker...smoker temp 250 - 255, IT as of 20 mins ago was 100.

I'm a bit confused...I read through Al's post where he took it to an IT of 145, but after reading other's posts where they followed Al's recipe, they sous vide it with final temps being all over the place.

I DON'T HAVE a SOUS VIDE thingamabob...am I taking this to 145, 180, 205 or what?

Thanks!

I take mine to between 135-140. But that’s the medium texture that I like in my lunch meat. YMMV.

You are seeing different temp ranges because of different cuts being used. The eye of round is very lean so 145 is perfect. Alot of us make pastrami using brisket which will need a much higher finishing temp to render fat and make tender

You are seeing different temp ranges because of different cuts being used. The eye of round is very lean so 145 is perfect. Alot of us make pastrami using brisket which will need a much higher finishing temp to render fat and make tender

A-HA! Yes, different cuts of meat were being used...brisket point, flat, EOR...makes sense now.

145 it is...THANK YOU!

OK...final IT was 147.

EOR-Pastrami1.jpg

EOR-Pastrami2.jpg

Flavor is REALLY good, but it "is" quite lean for pastrami...but when EOR is all you can get your hands on, IT WILL DO!!!

Happy here!

Yup. Nice cook. On EOR, that’s why I finish no higher than 140. It is lean. If I cooked it as a roast, again not over 140. Still great job. Looks delicious.

Yup. Nice cook. On EOR, that’s why I finish no higher than 140. It is lean. If I cooked it as a roast, again not over 140. Still great job. Looks delicious.

I think that's what I'll do next time!

So if I could get my hands on a brisket (and, truthfully, I can, but that's a big chunk of change on a piece of meat I've never worked with before!), what would be the target IT...same as, say, pork butt?

Just like Fresh Brisket...Probe Tender. Somewhere between 195 and 205. You don't want it falling apart, but very tender. It will slice better Cold. You then reheat in Butter, for a Hot Pastrami on Rye with Mustard, Ruben or one off my favorites, Hot Pastrami with melted Swiss, Creamy Coleslaw and 1000 Island Dressing on Rye....JJ

Just like Fresh Brisket...Probe Tender. Somewhere between 195 and 205. You don't want it falling apart, but very tender. It will slice better Cold. You then reheat in Butter, for a Hot Pastrami on Rye with Mustard, Ruben or one off my favorites, Hot Pastrami with melted Swiss, Creamy Coleslaw and 1000 Island Dressing on Rye....JJ
You just described one of my all time favorites JJ! I like it with provolone too.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
You just described one of my all time favorites JJ! I like it with provolone too.

There was a Bar in town, River Road Tavern, that made them. Granted this was 35 years ago, but each was loaded with 12 Ounces of Pastrami and the rest for $5!
I could barely get my Mouth around it to take a Bite!...JJ

Reactions: MJB05615
There was a Bar in town, River Road Tavern, that made them. Granted this was 35 years ago, but each was loaded with 12 Ounces of Pastrami and the rest for $5!
I could barely get my Mouth around it to take a Bite!...JJ
Nice! Even 35 years ago $5 was a great deal for that.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky