Oven roasted brisket and the right run >>

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

paneraica

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 26, 2020
I know this is a smoking forum, but can't seem to find anything on an oven roasting forum, but post is mainly on the rub.

I also posted in the Rub forum. Just want to get the right idea for next time

When my mother was ill. I helped her cook the brisket she had in her freezer. Double about 12 pounds. The rub wasn't laid out in tsp or tbsps, but shaking the amounts into a bowl.

Sadly. Didn't pay much attention to that part.

When I made my own brisket late last year. I did the bowl thing and it was OK. Had a little too much water in the pan (another thing I didn't pay much attention to), but checked the internet and some posts said half way up the side. Thought that was too much as brisket tasted more boiled than roasted

Today I did another. A 3 pound single.

Ended up tasting like garbage. Same for the roast potatoes. Used a dry rub formula and either it was just too much for a 3 pounder or I was only supposed to use just a small amount.

I used it all on both sides.

Tasted like I was eating slices of pepper and salt and same for the potatoes which absorbed all the rub.

This is pretty much what I found and used

• 2 Tablespoons coarse Kosher salt (I actually used regular salt)
  • 2 Tablespoons coarse black pepper
  • 1 Tablespoon onion powder
  • 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
  • 1 Tablespoon smoked paprika
I'm guessing I only should have used a small amount only on one side and over did it or it was just too much in regards to the amounts for such a small brisket.

Any help for the next time

Thanks

DON

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky