Opinions on sugar maple?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinLogs

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 5, 2017
Owensboro, Kentucky
Hey everyone,
Im looking for others opinions on some wood types. My boss is giving me a bunch of sugar maple and some pecan thanks to some recent windy storms. He’s even going to cut it up into good split sizes for my stick burner. I couldn’t be happier. I’ve never smoked with either one yet. I know a lot of people swear by pecan for smoking, but I haven’t heard much at all about sugar maple. I was just hoping to hear some opinions on what people think about both woods and what types of meat are well suited to the smoke profile. Also what kind of curing times I’m looking at with them. Hoping for some feedback!
Thanks in advance!

Lucky you. I don't have a stick burner but I do use sugar maple pellets in my AMPS when I want a medium smoke, not strong like mesquite. I suspect it would be a fine wood for you to use.

UMMMM... I suggest you don't use ether one of them... let me come and take it off your hands so you don't have to worry about how to get rid of it... nice score.... cook him a slab of ribs or two with it... I'm wanting to by a truckload (PU) of the pecan...

Sounds great. I love trying new woods and flavors. I’m looking forward to firing it up in the smoker, and yeah I will definitely return the favor with some good Q for my boss. So would y’all say sugar maple is a good all around wood or does it go well with certain types of meat? As for pecan I’ve never used it but I know it’s a good mix with most meats. Thanks for all the input!

Sugar maple is a great wood for smoking. It will take probably a year or more to properly season. Allot will depend on how you store it, and weather conditions.

Chris

Thanks for all the info. I’m really looking forward to putting some in the smoker. I just wish I didn’t have to wait for it to season, but that’s the price you pay for making some good Q.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky