Open Pit Turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

HalfSmoked

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 11, 2015
Maryland Eastern Shore
Sorry for this late post on this but old man still learning to do photo posting. So here goes my open pit turkey actually do father's day. Hope you enjoy.

Getting fire started will be using maple wood for the main fire.
Used Toney's for a rub.

tur1.1.JPG

About an hour into the cook

TURK2.JPG

About 3 hours into cook.

TURK3.JPG

About 4 hours into cook.

TURK4.JPG

Getting real close to done.

TURK5.JPG

5 hours and this bird is done.

TURK6.JPG

No fancy dinner here just made sammies with the home made bread. Kids were in and out so we just didn't do a sit down meal.

TURK7.JPG

Turkey was real moist skin was shoe leather.
TURK8.JPG
TURK8.JPG

Sorry forgot to get a photo of a sammies. But hope you enjoyed this.

Warren

Nice job on that turkey Warren, It look darn good to me.

Point for sure.

Chris

Thanks guys and for the likes.

Chili its just a rotisserie kit I picked up at Wally World not sure of the brand.

Warren

It looks awesome. Bet that was a real treat for the family! The skin looks good too. Hard to believe it wasn't. I would have thought for sure a rotisserie would do a good job on the skin. I'm surprised about that part. I'd do this tomorrow if I had a rotisserie! Really impressive!

Nice bird and nice rig!

That load of maple looks exactly like my stash I've been burning for more than a year. A neighbor had a big maple removed in October 2016 and I was heaving logs over the fence.

Simple rig old truck tire rims (which are hard to find today they use a different type rim) and a cheap rotisserie from Wally World. Thanks for the comments Blue.

Warren

Warren bird looks great,love doing them on the spinner.Now for the bread any recipe that you can share,I have a hard time keeping bread soft for a second day. LIKES
Richie

Richie thanks for the like.

The bread was done in a bread baker. We just store it in a zip lock bag after it cools. Around here though there is usually not much left.

Warren

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky