Open Pit / Santa Maria Grills vs. Charcoal with Wood Chunks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

elm

Original poster
Apr 13, 2019
Hello SMF folks! Wanted to get your expert opinions on open pit / santa maria grills vs. charcoal with wood chunks. Done a lot of charcoal with wood chunk grilling in kettles and horizontal barrels, no experience with open pit grilling but I have a coworker from southern California who has been talking a lot about santa maria grills and their own style of grilling. My question is, do I "need" to add a santa maria grill to my charcoal grill arsenal or is it six of one, half dozen of the other? I understand the different cooking methods, just wondering if the final product differs that much from one to the other. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

I think the real question would be do you "want" to add a Santa Maria grill. If it interests you enough to try the different style of cooking go for it. I have never cooked on one myself but have had good food made on one. Didn't feel the need to get one for myself though.

SmokinAl has a Santa Maria grill attachment on his Weber Kettle. I understand he loves it. If you've got $160 burning a hole in your pocket, why not? I've had SM grilled meat a lot of places, including Santa Maria. If I ever build an outdoor kitchen, a SM grill will definitely be one of the cooking areas, but I don't think I'll add it to my 22.5" Kettle. Might be tempted if I buy the 26.5", or the Weber Ranch, instead of building the kitchen.

I've cooked tri tips, burgers, and sausages over an open fire burning white oak splits, so basically similar to a SM grill, though the SM area uses red oak. The meat was delicious and clean tasting, but I can't imagine it would be that different from using a good lump charcoal and chunks or a couple of small wood splits.

Al's the man to ask!

Ray

Last edited:
I’m partial to them.
F9BB237D-2273-4AA1-8A82-92FB41DA0E8D.jpeg
D4D55080-189B-4DAB-9E23-2F56D9FBEDBA.jpeg

I have a 36" cowboy grill and plan on making it into 1 , It will make it easy to control temps and add wood/charcoal . besides who don't like to play with fire sometimes? lol grilling/smoking over open wood fire has some great flavor but requires some hands on throughout the cook for best results. this place is terrible, gives me ideas for food and more cookers, wife thinks I'm nuts but enjoys most of the results

Reactions: D.W.
The Santa Maria style is unique and flavorful. We started going to SM 40 years ago and there were people firing up road side grills all over. Selling tri-tip lunches with a small salad, garlic bread and piqineto beans for a couple of dollars. They all used mesquite wood with high heat to sear the meat and then raise the rack to slow cook. A tri tip only takes about 45 minutes to cook up. The seasoning was a mix of salt, black and white pepper and garlic. Local grocery stores sold the beans in one pound bags with a seasoning pack. The local politicans got involved and only allowed charities to do road side cooks. They complained of all the pollution in the air, but they really did not like the loss of tax revenue.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky