Old Smoker, New Member in southern Arizona

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

beer n smoke

Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
Sierra Vista, AZ
I'm new to this forum, but not to smoking.  I live in Sierra Vista, AZ, alt 5200 ft.  Summers get up to 97 or so, and winters can fall below freezing.  I've been using a Cookshack Smokette Elite SM-025 for the past 15 months, and I absolutely love it.  I have used Brinkman wood and Brinkman electrics, and a Big Green Egg in the past, and gave them all away after using the Cookshack for two months.

I'm 66 yrs old, retired, and brewing beer and smoking meats are my hobbies.  I've even smoked some of my malts to make smoky beers (rauchbier and smoked porter and stout).  I've been a lifetime member of the American Homebrewers Association for over 25 years, and was a rated beer judge for over 15 years.

My favorite things to smoke are: anything that can be enhanced by wood smoke.  I've done cheeses, jalapenos and poblanos, beef and pork ribs, trout, salmon, pork belly (bacon), brisket, Boston Butt, prime rib, chicken, and turkey.find what   I'm currently on a quest to find which wood smoke goes best with which cheese, and to marry beer styles with different smoked meats.  I know these are tough assignments, but I'm up for the challenge. 

welcome1.gif
 to SMF!!! We're happy you found us! Sounds like you have a lot of good experience to share with us! Good luck on your quest and we look forward to hearing/seeing all about it!

Welcome lot of wisdom here ready to be shared. I use a lot of beer in my brines for bacon /ham hocks,speck particularly the dark styles.Coopers stout a favourite.

Apple my pick for cheese smoking.

welcome1.gif
to SMF!!! We're happy you found us! Sounds like you have a lot of good experience to share with us! Good luck on your quest and we look forward to hearing/seeing all about it!
And now here I am 12 years later. I have been brewing beer and smoking meats all during that time, but I completely forgot about this forum, although I read Jeff's weekly email posts every week. I have acquired a few more smokers in the past 12 years. I now have (in addition to my Cookshack) a Pit Boss pellet smoker, and a kimado-type smoker. I also have a Char-Broil gas grill and a Santa Marta-type charcoal grill. Living here in southern AZ, I can grill pretty much 365 days a year.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky