Okie's Drum

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

peculiarmike

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jun 29, 2006
Peculiar, MO
I built SmokyOkie an SDS (Silver Drum Smoker) drum smoker, Pineapple model. Took it down to him at Tulsa and picked up 50 bags of Mexican mesquite lump charcoal, hottest burning I've seen.
When I got there Ba-LoKo Kev came over and we fired up the drum at 6PM with 10 lbs. of Ozark Oak lump and some hickory splits. Fired us up with a "few" beers and some excellent smoked cheese.
The drum leveled off about 250° with nice thin blue. Okie put a hunka baloney on to smoke. That took about a couple hours. Then we just let the drum do it's business to see how long it would go on 10 lbs.
The drum was at 200° when I got up the next morning, I kicked the ball valve open a bit more and it came back up to 250°. We ran over to the warehouse and picked up the pallet of Mexican charcoal, came back & off loaded Okie's half. The drum was at 225°. We decided to go to Elmer's BBQ "It's ALL Bad" in Tulsa for lunch, made that run, came back and the drum was at 225°. I left to return to Peculiar at 1PM, still at 225°. When I got home I had a message from the Okie that the drum was at 197° when he got home at 5:30PM and there was still unburned charcoal!!!!!
24 HOURS burn at smoking temps. on 10 lbs. charcoal with very little manipulation of intake air!!!!
Okie is doing a comp in a couple weeks at Stillwater, OK. He's cooking butts on the drum. Hope he wins something.
Check the barely visible Thin Blue wafting off the top of the drum.
Oh yeah, the black thing that looks like a locomotive is Okie's Lucille. She's a sweetie.
3b6596cb_vbattach17442.jpg

4e64f97f_vbattach17441.jpg

a2e63e33_vbattach17440.jpg

That's freakin' incredible... I have been vacillating between a GOSM BB or a drum for a "smaller" smoker. Man, hard to ignore the efficiency and ease of use on the drum!

I'm SOLD on the drum. I really like it and cooking on it. It's a long haul super star. Not a "small cook, quick cook" smoker though. It's a butt smoking machine!
PDT_Armataz_01_18.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky