Okay, Fellas. Someone Talk Me Off the Ledge...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SH0RTS

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 2, 2022
So, I got 10 lbs of sausage ground up yesterday, added all my seasonings, cure, cheese and mixed it up well by hand. Ive done this a dozen times. But, i made the rookie mistake of all rookie mistakes, and didn't perform what we used to call in the Army a "Pre-Combat Inspection". My sausage stuffer is deadlined.

So, i got all the meat sealed up in zip lock bags in a very cold refrigerator. The solution to the problem is getting delivered on Thursday. Have I wasted 10 lbs of brisket and pork, or will it be good to go when the stuffer gets here on Thursday? 3 days in the fridge too long? Once I stuff and smoke them, they are going to be vac sealed and frozen.

Thanks in Advance!

Reactions: JLeonard
As long as the meat is refrigerated, I think you should be okay. Check the firmness; you may have to add a little more water to it before you stuff.
Thanks. I thought about that as well. May as well take this opportunity to add a little beer..

Reactions: zwiller
You said you used cure. With cure#1 you have about a 30 day window to get it done. And like Mike said, you will probably have to mix in some liquid before stuffing. Other than that, you're good to go.
Thanks, Doug. Ive been sweating bullets

So, you are going to have 3-days for the sausage in a holding pattern in the fridge. For starters, it will be 'stiff' and may need some re-incorporation of icy water before stuffing. What recipe are you following? Things like farm, breakfast, Italian and many more can be formed into patties or packaged in bulk. I might consider that option.

Reactions: SH0RTS
Too bad on the stuffer. Hope it was a cheap and easy repair.
Doug has you covered on the cure added sausage IF keep well chilled in the process.
Always remember to chill your meat after grinding and before mixing. Always use very cold water in the mix and chill well before stuffing.
Even with fresh sausage (no cure #1) you have a 3-4 window to stuff and cook provided you keep the meat below 40º during the grind and mix sessions.

Reactions: SH0RTS and DougE
So, I got 10 lbs of sausage ground up yesterday, added all my seasonings, cure, cheese and mixed it up well by hand. Ive done this a dozen times. But, i made the rookie mistake of all rookie mistakes, and didn't perform what we used to call in the Army a "Pre-Combat Inspection". My sausage stuffer is deadlined.

So, i got all the meat sealed up in zip lock bags in a very cold refrigerator. The solution to the problem is getting delivered on Thursday. Have I wasted 10 lbs of brisket and pork, or will it be good to go when the stuffer gets here on Thursday? 3 days in the fridge too long? Once I stuff and smoke them, they are going to be vac sealed and frozen.

Thanks in Advance!
you are fine.

Reactions: SH0RTS
Safety wise, you are good as mentioned for about 30 days. But texture....well what kind of cheese did you use?

...cheese....

If high temp., you are ok. But if using regular cheese then the texture could suffer. The cheese will soak up water from the sausage and may get goey when cooked. It may run. Also, it might disintegrate when you do go to stuff. But the sausage will taste just fine...and you will be able to save your sausage.

Safety wise, you are good as mentioned for about 30 days. But texture....well what kind of cheese did you use?

If high temp., you are ok. But if using regular cheese then the texture could suffer. The cheese will soak up water from the sausage and may get goey when cooked. It may run. Also, it might disintegrate when you do go to stuff. But the sausage will taste just fine...and you will be able to save your sausage.
It is the high temp 1/4" cubed cheddar from the Meatman. Thanks!

Thanks for all the replies, fellas! I've got a lot more grinding and seasining to do. May just go ahead and get that done today to make things easier when it arrives tomorrow. Doing a little experimentation on a couple of different flavor profiles, and an extra day of grinding and experimenting will come in handy before stuffing.

Reactions: DougE

Thanks in Advance!
You are fine. Actually you will have some really good sausage because the flavors will have mended well and the cure will be through out. I have done the same thing before and all was good. Happy stuffing.

HT

No

Dont add any more water.

Stuff your sticks as you would and them hang them at room temp for 3-4 hours before you smoke em.

Thank me later.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky