OH WOW! THE McRIB IS BACK!.....yuck.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Azodicarbonamide, or azobisformamide, is a chemical compound with the molecular formula C[SUB]2[/SUB]H[SUB]4[/SUB]O[SUB]2[/SUB]N[SUB]4[/SUB].[SUP][1][/SUP] It is a yellow to orange red, odorless, crystalline powder. As a food additive, it is known by the E number E927.
Azodicarbonamide is used in food industry as a food additive, a flour bleaching agent and improving agent. It reacts with moist flour as an oxidizing agent.[SUP][2][/SUP] The main reaction product is biurea,[SUP][3][/SUP] a derivative of urea, which is stable during baking. Secondary reaction products include semicarbazide[SUP][4][/SUP] and ethyl carbamate.[SUP][5][/SUP]The United States permits the use of azodicarbonamide at levels up to 45 ppm.[SUP][6][/SUP] In Australia[sup][citation needed][/sup]
and Europe[SUP][7][/SUP] the use of azodicarbonamide as a food additive is not approved.

It's on isle, top shelf, right next to the solid fuel propellant.

WHAT HIM SAY

Azodicarbonamide, or azobisformamide, is a chemical compound with the molecular formula C[sub]2[/sub]H[sub]4[/sub]O[sub]2[/sub]N[sub]4[/sub].[sup][1][/sup] It is a yellow to orange red, odorless, crystalline powder. As a food additive, it is known by the E number E927.

Azodicarbonamide is used in food industry as a food additive, a flour bleaching agent and improving agent. It reacts with moist flour as an oxidizing agent.[sup][2][/sup] The main reaction product is biurea,[sup][3][/sup] a derivative of urea, which is stable during baking. Secondary reaction products include semicarbazide[sup][4][/sup] and ethyl carbamate.[sup][5][/sup]The United States permits the use of azodicarbonamide at levels up to 45 ppm.[sup][6][/sup] In Australia[sup][citation needed][/sup] and Europe[sup][7][/sup] the use of azodicarbonamide as a food additive is not approved.

It's on isle 4, top shelf, right next to the solid fuel propellant.
I imagine molten pink pencil eraser poured into little rib forms and run down a conveyer belt.

I have never tasted a McRib & have no intention of doing so.  I don't care for McDonalds to begin with (got sick along with several other people from eating there) & it sounds like I haven't really missed out on anything other than ingesting more unwanted compounds... 
biggrin.gif

Try and tell a college student that McRibs are junk.  Won't work.

My daughters love them.  In fact my youngest one makes me go to Sam's Club and get their McRib "style" microwave sandwiches by the box load for her to take back to college every time she comes home  (just left with two boxes last weekend).

Tip on making the Sam's Club clones somewhat palatable (to me at least).
  • Microwave for about 20 seconds to thaw the unit enough so you can separate the bun from the "rib"
  • microwave the rib until done
  • microwave the bun by it's self until fully thawed and warmed
  • use your favorite bbq sauce to enhance what comes on the "rib"
  • put it back together and enjoy
The trick is doing the bun and "rib" separate.  If you keep them as a unit the bun will be over cooked before the ribs are ready. Over microwave a bun like that and it's soggy.

What is it with kids and junk food. The big corporations work hard to suck them in.

I know this was just posted a while ago, but it shows the problem.

English chef Jamie Oliver teaching kids about McNuggets....

What is it with kids and junk food. The big corporations work hard to suck them in.

You're right....it's the advertising. They say it's "cool" therefore it must be. Kids are very impressionable (i have a 3yr old and a 6mth old). If they think that something is special and just for them...they want it! plus Happy Meals come with a toy so that makes it worse. My 3yr old will flip out if she sees a McDonalds (in Walmart) and doesn't get a Happy Meal. There's a reason why these corporate giants grow to be giants....it's because they're smart as hell and we have kids and don't want to hear them scream.

Yea I saw that a while ago. He was talking about it on some show. He was still baffled by the reaction the kids had. He was so sure they would reject them, but they all wanted them.

On the other hand my wife like the McRib. She says you don't get it thinking its homemade......I for one am not a McDonalds fan. I usually get a salad and sweet tea.....

The sweet tea is pretty good...not a lot of places serve it here in Colorado. I don't go to mcdonalds or taco bell very often...prefer to eat at family owned restaurants or cook at home. Sometimes though I need that horrible food fix.

Ok I've changed my mind...I'm going and getting some spare ribs TOMORROW and smoking them. 3-2-1-homemade RickRib! With homemade RickAwesome sauce on a still not sure what's in it bun! I'll have a Q-View.

Ricky

ive never had the McRib.  I'm not a fan of fast food at all.  I'm that weirdo who gets really sick after eating greasy fast foods.  But honestly, I am really curious about them.  I do plan on buying one tomorrow.

ive never had the McRib.  I'm not a fan of fast food at all.  I'm that weirdo who gets really sick after eating greasy fast foods.  But honestly, I am really curious about them.  I do plan on buying one tomorrow.
If you own a dog, do him a favor and leave him home. Save him a few shreds of your brisket instead.

The McRib has a HUGE following. People hold release parties on the day they come out. I read somewhere the Sauce is Bullseye, which is not that bad for mass produced. I would not Write Home about them but once a year I get 2 for the nostalgia of the early 80's...JJ

You're right....it's the advertising. They say it's "cool" therefore it must be. Kids are very impressionable (i have a 3yr old and a 6mth old). If they think that something is special and just for them...they want it! plus Happy Meals come with a toy so that makes it worse. My 3yr old will flip out if she sees a McDonalds (in Walmart) and doesn't get a Happy Meal. There's a reason why these corporate giants grow to be giants....it's because they're smart as hell and we have kids and don't want to hear them scream.
Thankfully we never let our kids get started eating nasty stuff from places like Mcdonalds. When my son was in 2nd grade they talked about how the stuff they call "food" is processed. My son decided at that point he would never eat any of that garbage. He is now 18 and my daughter 20  and they still dont eat at Mcdonalds (or any other nasty fast food places). I love that they have grown up knowing what good food and great smoked meats are instead of eating chemicals.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky