Nooch Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Prior to watching that episode nutritional yeast had never crossed my radar. The yeast extract did in the thread started about I&G. I'm looking for another sausage to try... maybe this is it? Those look killer SE!

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Thanks Inda. That yeast is good chit. And the smoke ain’t bad for rolling on the pellet machine.

Thank you Charles.

Looks delicious! I love using nutritional yeast in sausage.
Thank you

Prior to watching that episode nutritional yeast had never crossed my radar. The yeast extract did in the thread started about I&G. I'm looking for another sausage to try... maybe this is it? Those look killer SE!
The yeast extract is good but more savory. This yeast is lower sodium so I didn’t adjust the recipe and this does bring a “cheesy” element, it’s really good. Thanks for the kind words.

Reactions: mr_whipple
Dang those look good Eric. Give me a hoagie, sauteed onions, and some ketchup and I'd be in heaven.

Point for sure
Chris

Hey, SmokinEdge SmokinEdge this sausage is in the queue, but I have another I want to do first. Question.. did you use any potato starch as the recipe called for or some other binder if any at all?

Hey, SmokinEdge SmokinEdge this sausage is in the queue, but I have another I want to do first. Question.. did you use any potato starch as the recipe called for or some other binder if any at all?
I used the potato starch as the recipe says, and I added phosphate out of habit , although the phosphate is not strictly necessary when using another binder.

Gotcha. Thank you.
If you have trouble finding potato starch at the store, look for the gluten free section where they have GF flour, rice flour, almond flour potato flour things like that and you likely will find potato starch.

If you have trouble finding potato starch at the store, look for the gluten free section where they have GF flour, rice flour, almond flour potato flour things like that and you likely will find potato starch.
I looked around and the only place I can find it on the shelf is Whole Foods and I'm not driving down to the beach. I ordered some from Amazon that was the same, yet cheaper. I'm going to make some french chipolata and merguez first, so no hurry. Thanks again!

@DougE and Fueling Around Fueling Around , I can tell you that this does kinda have a cheesy flavor or resemblance kinda but also brings an earthy umami and elevates the richness with cure 1. Kind of on the level of a cheddar sausage but it’s not exactly cheese. It’s delicious and John, it’s low sodium so I definitely think it’s an ingredient you need to play with. Really elevates flavor.
Made a small (500g) batch a couple days ago and got it stuffed today.
That was a very challenging process as all I have is the Weston grinder with the plastic kidney plate and funnel that came with it. I have a float switch off a sump pump back north that will supply the cord to make a foot switch.
Had enough left over to fry a test patty. I either screwed up and added more salt than intended or the nutritional yeast I sourced was very salty.
Anywho, it is an interesting sausage.
We couldn't figure out how to describe the taste. I'm not sure what to pair it with for a meal.
Wife liked it outside of the over salted. I'll make this again.

I find the Bob's Red Mill brand at many stores including Walmart.

Had enough left over to fry a test patty. I either screwed up and added more salt than intended or the nutritional yeast I sourced was very salty.
Well that’s not a happy ending. Here is the nutritional label on my yeast bottle.

IMG_1852.jpeg

Reactions: Fueling Around
Leaning to more I screwed up. I made 3 different batches of sausage out of the last grind.
The other batches were good including the Nuremberg brat recipe from JC in GB JC in GB .
Wife really liked that as it it close to her childhood memory from her father's recipe.
I'm going to meld that recipe in with the Marianski version.
We're heading to the bulk store (Sprouts Market) next week.
I'll get a photo of the nutritional label.

I was curious of the "Nooch" title until I found that nutritional yeast is also called "nooch" by the vegans.
I'm thinking the Jimmy Dean copycat my wife likes might be the next batch with a dose of nooch.

Leaning to more I screwed up. I made 3 different batches of sausage out of the last grind.
The other batches were good including the Nuremberg brat recipe from JC in GB JC in GB .
Wife really liked that as it it close to her childhood memory from her father's recipe.
I'm going to meld that recipe in with the Marianski version.
We're heading to the bulk store (Sprouts Market) next week.
I'll get a photo of the nutritional label.

I was curious of the "Nooch" title until I found that nutritional yeast is also called "nooch" by the vegans.
I'm thinking the Jimmy Dean copycat my wife likes might be the next batch with a dose of nooch.
Sounds good. That Nuremburg recipe from JC in GB JC in GB is phenomenal. That is one solid sausage recipe. As to the yeast I’m still planning with it too. It’s very interesting stuff. Delicious but not good for everything. Let me know what you come up with, I’ll do the same.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky