No Foil on next set of ribs...your opinions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

old poi dog

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Aug 26, 2007
Maui, Hi.
OK..next set of pork ribs I will do the No-Foil thing. I'm planning to smoke at about 230-240. I think total time will be 5 hours. I'm planning to watch for the 1/4" pullback, then I will begin to apply a spritzing of my rub disolved in a mixture of cranberry juice/water, every 1/2 hour or so. I'm thinking the pullback will occur at the 2.5 or 3 hour mark. So the remaining two hours should be dedicated to 2 1/2 hours of spritzing and 1/2 hour of applyng a mop? Do you think its workable? Anything to watch for?

I don't always foil, more of a mood thing for me now, unless i'm holding them for a couple hours, then i always foil. Sounds like you have a plan there, let us know how it works out for you.

I did some last week without foil and they came out great. I sprayed with apple juice every hour and smoked with hickory pellets at 225-230 all night (was a long one) My son's class already ordered more for next year.

No foil guy here too. I don't spritz or mop. I try to keep my smoker door shut and only open when I need to add some chips in real quick. I go about 6 hours for spares and will sauce them about 30-45 minutes before I remove them from the smoker.

I don't foil. I used to spritz the ribs with apple juice. What I have done the last few times was to cook with the concave side up. I get a little pool of juice that seems to keep the ribs moist. I will do some ribs this coming weekend I'll take pictures.

My kids like to fall off the bone but they are young. The foiling with accomplish this for you. I prefer to pull it off. I foil and then firm back up by unfoiling or leave my ribs out of the foil.

Personally I don't foil anymore but I do spritz.

I think you have a great plan for your next set of ribs, should be darn tasty.

Never foiled before Sunday. Here is my thread. http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ad.php?t=77515 I also discuss this. I liked the foil method for the tenderness but usually like to chomp into the ribs, I think its a personal choice or how lazy you may be.
PDT_Armataz_01_22.gif

I never foil, spritz or mop ribs... I rub them right as they go on the pit and don't pull 'em of until they pass the bend test. Sometimes I will glaze them right as they come off the pit, some times I don't

These were glazed the moment I took 'em off. Sorry for the size of the pic.

Hey James,
Those are some sweet looking ribs!!! At what temp do you smoke em at?

Wow alot of non foilers. I like it
biggrin.gif

I start spritzing 2 to 2 1/2 hrs into the smoke, every hr on the hr till done. Unless I decide on saucing then the last hr or so is sauced.

I started out foiling but always go un-foiled now. I start spraying with apple juice/booze about 2 hours in and do it every hour after that. I like to sauce them with about 45 minutes left.

You've got a good plan...I'd go with it.

I never used to foil/mop/spray anything in the past, but I always wet-smoked. I have started to put ribs into a covered steam pan with a brasing liquid for the past 6 or 8 months...wife, kids and friends like the tenderness it can produce. I'm kind of getting hooked on it myself. I foil alot more now.

It's a preference thing. Having a change in your smokes sometimes can really bring out what you/yours like the best. I have done some smokes that I secretly changed up a couple things like the rub blend, or some other technique that I never faltered from before. The results have been pleasantly surprising. I would get comments like "hey, what did you do to these? They're really good".

Point being this: you'll never now what you like the best until you try something new or different. Play around with things and you'll find out.

Happy smokin' OPD!

Eric

It depends on how I'm feeling any more. I'm doing ribs this weekend sans foil.

I normally foil my ribs for an hour to hour and a half, then unfoil and cook for another hour. I have a smoke tonight where I am doing a few racks of spare ribs. Think I am going all non-foil tonight with a spritz.

My last few batches of BB ribs, I have smoked for 3 hours(no spray, no mop,), and then foiled for 30 minutes with apple juice, honey, and a few other things. They have been the best I have ever done, nice tug, but tender as well.

I may do some spares this weekend adjusting the time accordingly.

No foil, no spritz, no mop, no sauce, but there are ribs... Only time I foil is if I am coolering them after the cook.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky