No Christmas without headcheese and organ sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

atomicsmoke

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 3, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Got my december half pig...with whole head
pig_carcass.jpg

pig_head.jpg

Headcheese (from head only), organ sausage from liver/2 hearts/2 tongues/1 kidney. The thin sausage is made with rice. The one stuffed in hog middle with cornmeal (coarse).

headcheese_and_organ_sausage.jpg

Cold smoked them with beech for about 10h. Favourite wood for old country recipes.

headcheese.jpg

That is just Too Cool! My family is split between Adventurous Foodies and the Meat and Potatoes crowd. They have another thing coming when I get setup to raise some Hogs here at home. Going to be Head to Tail cookin' in the coming years. They ain't ever going to know what is in the Chili!...JJ:D

These are normally cold cuts but we like the large organ/cornmeal sausage oven roasted. The casing gets crispy, the fat melts ....it's just delicious with saurkraut or pickles.

20171214_205906-1.jpg

20171214_210203-1.jpg

The organ meat is called 'debris' here in cajun country. It is the original ingredient in boudin, along with scraps and large vessels. Today most all boudin is made with pork butt.
The stuffed stomach we call 'ponce', but it is a much spicy version.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky