NFDM Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
Can I substitute regular instant NFDM fo high heat NFDM in a fresh sausage recipe? Can't seem to find that locally...

I have a fresh sausage recipe that I want to try, but it calls for high heat NFDM. Been looking for it, but can't find it locally...

I used it before I knew any better. High heat is better but the regular stuff is still pretty good. I ordered the high heat stuff from the Sausage Maker. I also tried out some c-bind from them as well which I really liked.

Yes, thanks...
I mentioned the Carnation because it's a fine powder . Like said in post 7 , if you get the courser stuff just grind it .

I buy the high heat stuff from TSM , but watch the shelf life . It goes bad . The first jar I bought didn't have a exp. date . Took me awhile to figure out that was what was giving the smoked sausage a strange taste . The newer jars have a best by date on them .
I use it at a reduced rate , and have also been using potato starch that works well .

Here's a thread with some info from a while back if you're interested .

I actually take the non high heat NFDM powder and blend it with the added water when making smoke sausage for a more even distibution of the gel. I also mix the phosphates (after dissolving in warm water) with the NFDM and water after dissolving the milk powder. Exceptional binding. Matter of fact- best bind in a smoke sausage I have ever had......

*edit- I use a blender with a whisk attachment to dissolve the NFDM powder in the water......

I had trouble finding NFDM here in Canada, but I have stumbled on a source for Soy Protein Concentrate and have only used it once. I've also found Potato Starch locally so I may give that a try someday.

So far, I haven't really found a need to add a binder. I just make sure that I get good protein extraction and everything binds together nicely.

Reactions: zwiller and DanMcG
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky