Next Day Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

slipaway

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 28, 2014
Needham Mass.
I am smoking 3 briskets for a friends party and I need to do this the day before his party.
Was planning on cooking until about 190IT. Wrap in foil and refrigerate. Next day, leave in foil and put in a 225 oven for an hour or so. Does this make sense? Will save any au jus for them also.
Thanx

I would just cook them in your smoker till they are done and have that jiggle to them. Wrap and let cool. After that refrigerate them and warm up to serving temperature the next day

Thanx for the come back.
I am worried about them drying out. I recently did a brisket and had to wrap in foil, towel and into cooler for over 3 hours due to the fact that it finished way too early. It turned out a little dry and I am trying to make sure that this doesn't happen again.
Thanx again for the reply.

Yes, finish them the day before. Then warm them to serving temp at the event.

Scott

If you're just looking to have it done in time, you can smoke the brisket for 6 to 10 hours in your smoker, and then put them in the oven to finish. I've had good luck with setting the oven at 175 degrees and holding it for 16 to 20 hours, then finishing in a faux cambreau for 2 to 3 hours. Just take the time you want to serve it, and subtract your smoking, holding, and cambreau times.

Brisket has been moist and tender every time.

Yes, finish them the day before. Then warm them to serving temp at the event.

Scott
Scott,
Question - This may sound dumb but when you say to reheat to serving temp do you mean the 200 IT originally or some lower amount that the brisket would have cooled to before eating? I have not had to reheat briskets before.
Thanx

Serving temp = above 140. Most people will prefer their meat about 150 so it doesn’t feel luke warm.

Serving temp = above 140. Most people will prefer their meat about 150 so it doesn’t feel luke warm.
Thanx Justice,
I am giving him the following instructions (since I won't be there). "Leave Briskets in foil and put into a 275 degree oven until they reach 155-160 IT. This should take about 1 1/2 - 2 hours. Remove from foil and make sure to slice ACROSS the grain."
Think this works?
Thanx again

I’d put the oven at about 300. My experience has been that it takes quite a bit of time for a fridge cold brisket to get back up to serving temp, especially it it’s still whole.

Does he know what across the grain means? Might need to leave him a diagram, or link to a YouTube video.

I would smoke to completion and then wrap in foil and rest on the counter until it cools down enough to put in a fridge.
My mother does this all the time and her briskets come out great.

My last brisket had to finish wrapped in foil, in the oven 9 hours while I was at work. It was overcooked like wanting to be pulled beef rather than sliced brisket but not dry.
I put it in the fridge and the next day I sliced it cold and low and behold all my shreded/fall apart texture issues were solved!!! The slices reheated right up and it was sliced brisket with great flavor. The flavor on smoked food is always better the next day it seems :)

As for reheating just throw the entire thing foil wrapped and all in the oven and let it get to 160F. You can slice and serve from there if you like. As long as you foil your brisket when it comes out or during your cooking process and keep it foiled until you are ready to eat you shouldn't have a dry brisket.

Best of luck!

WRAP UP
To all. Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. Last Saturday I smoked the 3 briskets to 200 IT; let cool slightly; double wrapped in foil and put in the fridge for an overnight rest.
Sunday my friend took them and, leaving them in the foil, reheated in a 300 degree oven for about 1 hour 45 minutes - that's what it took to get to 155 IT. He then took them out and sliced them about a pencil width wide.
The bark was not hard due to all the time in the foil but the flavor AND moistness were spot on.
Thanx again for all of your help
Slipaway (Tom)

Reactions: tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky