• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Newbie with a New Yoder

SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

RevSmoke

Mar 2, 2022
Hey all! I've been lurking for a few months, but my Yoder YS640S arrived yesterday so I figured it was time to make an account and introduce myself. I've only been smoking meat since last fall when a friend gave me his old propane smoker. The thing was great, got me hooked, and I spent most of my time off on paternity leave for our newborn son experimenting with all sorts of things. At the turn of the new year my wife and I decided that we were going to remodel our kitchen, and I convinced her that a pellet smoker would be a great "outdoor oven" during the months long remodel. She agreed. I was about to pull the trigger on a Recteq but then their prices jumped up. For a couple hundred more I could get the Yoder, and so I did. Put it together last night and did the initial burn in this morning. Tomorrow I will be making some pulled ham, and I can't wait.

Excited to be part of this community!

Oh, and I should mention that the Yoder's bottom tray came with a dent and scratch on it. After a quick email to Yoder today they are sending me a replacement shelf which should be here Friday. Great customer service!

(Pardon the messy backyard, it's mid remodel so that this Yoder has a proper place to be!)
IMG_1372.jpeg

negolien

Master of the Pit
Jan 1, 2020
You said u did a burn in did u season twice too? Also do you have a cover. They are 100% a must. Grats on the buy those are fine machines. TY for sharing

RevSmoke

Mar 2, 2022
You said u did a burn in did u season twice too? Also do you have a cover. They are 100% a must. Grats on the buy those are fine machines. TY for sharing

I only seasoned it once. Is twice a thing? Anything different to do on the second one?

Yes, I got a cover. And I have a secondary cover coming too.

SmokinEdge

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 18, 2020
Hey all! I've been lurking for a few months, but my Yoder YS640S arrived yesterday so I figured it was time to make an account and introduce myself. I've only been smoking meat since last fall when a friend gave me his old propane smoker. The thing was great, got me hooked, and I spent most of my time off on paternity leave for our newborn son experimenting with all sorts of things. At the turn of the new year my wife and I decided that we were going to remodel our kitchen, and I convinced her that a pellet smoker would be a great "outdoor oven" during the months long remodel. She agreed. I was about to pull the trigger on a Recteq but then their prices jumped up. For a couple hundred more I could get the Yoder, and so I did. Put it together last night and did the initial burn in this morning. Tomorrow I will be making some pulled ham, and I can't wait.

Excited to be part of this community!

Oh, and I should mention that the Yoder's bottom tray came with a dent and scratch on it. After a quick email to Yoder today they are sending me a replacement shelf which should be here Friday. Great customer service!

(Pardon the messy backyard, it's mid remodel so that this Yoder has a proper place to be!) View attachment 527479
Welcome from Colorado.
I run that same smoker. Great machine once you figure it out (wait for the temp to stabilize). Happy to help if I can. They make really good food.

912smoker

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Nov 29, 2020
Welcome to SMF from SE Ga and congrats on the Yoder !

Keith

civilsmoker

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 27, 2015
Congrats! That’s a nice unit for sure.....I got my RT before the prices went up or I might have made a same choice

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Congrats on the new smoker and welcome from Ohio!

bauchjw

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Aug 3, 2015
Welcome from Virginia! Huge congrats on your baby boy! Awesome job on figuring out how to pull off a Yoder too🤣 The money and confusion of the remodel is the perfect subterfuge🤔🤔🤔

Be warned, Sven is an enabler. You have a good size yard for your Lad to grow in….if you aren’t wary, it will soon be filled with expensive….and cheap, awesome rigs!

mike243

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 25, 2018
Congrats on the new rig, made pulled ham 1 time with a wild boar ham, came out very dry as there wasnt enuff fat, had to drown it with bbq sauce lol. .If I ever do another it will be wrapped at some point and maybe not took to a full pull temp and make it sliceable.

sandyut

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2015
Welcome to SMF. Many pellet smokers here to assist and such as needed. Congrats on the Yoder! Post up some cooks, we all love to see what others are makin!

civilsmoker

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 27, 2015
....... At the turn of the new year my wife and I decided that we were going to remodel our kitchen, and I convinced her that a pellet smoker would be a great "outdoor oven" during the months long remodel. She agreed.........

Oh just passing along that having a pellet smoker and a 2 burner camp chef pro on the covered porch was our kitchen for a very long time....ie we moved into a newer house, oven gave up the ghost two weeks after we moved in, took 4 months to get our new ovens....only have them come with a forklift hole in it....we lucked out and the stole someone else's order so only another month wait......then the full kitchen remodel......We cooked everything (oven based) on the pellet for 6 months and about a month for pan based stuff on the camp stove for the remodel.......Oh an when I say everything....That includes 3 versions of wellingtons (Beef, pork, and brisket)....So having a wood fired oven is a PERFECT thing to have during a remodel!

Sven Svensson

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Dec 5, 2021
Welcome from Virginia! Huge congrats on your baby boy! Awesome job on figuring out how to pull off a Yoder too🤣 The money and confusion of the remodel is the perfect subterfuge🤔🤔🤔

Be warned, Sven is an enabler. You have a good size yard for your Lad to grow in….if you aren’t wary, it will soon be filled with expensive….and cheap, awesome rigs!
It’s true. I’ve got him interested in the KUDU and told him, since it’s portable, he could borrow mine if his wife needs convincing.

clifish

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 25, 2019
Welcome from the other coast - New York! I am glad I don't live near Sven Svensson Sven Svensson or I would probably have a Yoder and a Kudo next to my other devices

texomakid

Master of the Pit
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 6, 2017
Welcome! I remember when my new Yoder looked like that over 4 years ago :emoji_laughing: Now it's filthy and has a little rust above the door but it runs like a champ!

I hope you enjoy your 640 as much as I have mine (it's been the BEST outdoor cooker I've ever owned)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Top Bottom
Clicky