Newbie questions.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DaveSkybiker

Original poster
Jan 28, 2018
Batangas City, Philippines
Hi. I'm new to smoking and having some trouble keeping my temps.

I'm trying a 3-2-1, applying mop every hour for the first 3 hours.

After wrapping my ribs with foil, I'm having trouble keeping my temp at 225. 3 vents are wide open, but temp stays at about 200.

I'm using a UDS with lump charcoal, and there's still a lot left to burn in the basket.
Is there a way I should be stacking the fuel? Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Home made drum smoker. I've got one 3/4 inch open intake, and two 3/4 with valves to control the airflow. For exhaust, one 3/4 and one 2inch nipples with elbows that can be covered to kinda control exhaust.

I've got a coal/fuel basket with a 304 stainless pan 2 inches above the basket. The problem is I have all three intakes fully open, after the third hour of mopping, then foil, i have a hard time of getting my temp up to the 225-250 range; keeping temps at 200 is a struggle.

Truly puzzling. No more than 200 even with 3 3/4 " intakes open.. hmm. Charcoal basket is 2 inches above the bottom or so?
Hope you have good luck with it next time.. you have the temp sensor on the top grate by the food hey? Your using a digital temp on the grill grate ?
Let us know if you change stuff and how it worked out.

How much lit charcoal do you have going?
Why are you mopping so much?
How much space is there around the 304 pan(assuming it's a defuser)?
How thick is the 304?

You may just need more lit coals burning, especially since your mopping every hour. Also if your pan is snug against your barrel then your restricting air flow. If your difuser is to thick then it may be absorbing to much heat. Just some thoughts.

Chris

The basket is about 3 inches from the bottom. Could the ash catcher be a problem? The diffuser has 3.75 inches clearance all the way around and a bit thinner than a pizza pan, think 3 pages thin. I loaded the basket with around 4kg of coals, during seasoning I had 3kg and no problems with keeping temps. Temp sensor is at grate level.
Could the size of the coals be a factor?
Thanks

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky