Newbie Qestion

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chadjackson01

Original poster
Sep 22, 2009
Hi to all I have been admiring this forum for a couple weeks now looking for info and ideas. Great Site So I thought I would join.

I just picked up my used but new to me smoker today $10. I will post pics later. This is a Char-Broil Wood/Charcoal indirect smoker.

My question: This will be my first attempt at smoking

I have a 2-3# pork loin preseasoned with Portabella and Cracked Peper. 3#s thick cut Bacon. I will be doing a bacon weaverolled over the loin. I want to stuff the loin with marinaded portabellas and Swiss Cheese.

Guessing a slow smoke at 225 for about 6hrs. Is the cheese a bad idea? I was told it would get rancide with the long smoke and high temp?

Thanks to all

If it is stuffed, and it is only around 3# to start with - then it should only take about 2 - 2.5 hours to hit the magic temp of 160'ish...

That said, allow me to clarify some more.
biggrin.gif

#1 - we all cook to temp., not time. Therfore, even though I estimate 2 - 2.5 hours, that is just a suggestion based on experience. Get yourself a good probe temp. gauge or an instant-read, and when that sucker gets to around 162° - pull it and put it on a platter and COVER it tightly with foil...about 15 min. later you should have reached the necessary 165° because the meat will continue to cook itself even after you pull it.

#2 - If you are cooking at 225 - 240, somewhere in there, then there is no reason to worry about something going wrong with your cheese. Especially since the pork loin will be done in WAY less than 5 or 6 hours.

Good luck - hope it turns out delicious!

Sorry - forgot to add this regarding your cheese idea...head on over to the section in this forum called "Fatties". There you will see people stuffing meat with all kinds of cheeses - and cooking anywhere from 220 - to 275° without any bad results! Have fun...

Bman you nailed it right on the head. You need to have a thermo for sure. Always cook to temp, since every piece of meat is different you never know exactly how long it will take. There are guidelines as to general rules of thumb, but that is it really.

Welcome to smf, and look forward to seeing q-view and your smoker.

3 lbs is a lot of bacon for wrapping a loin that is that small. It may not take all of it, unless you add several layers. I would recommend just put one layer of bacon on it and le the smoke give it a great flavor. And remember watch that thermo. Pork loin is very lean and it will dry out quickly. I pull mine at 161 and wrap and rest it for 15 to 30 minutes in a lined cooler.

Need more help I am reading through posts and it keeps listing most recent first instead of start to finish if that makes sence

Firstoff no reason to worry about the cheese if you did I wouldn't have been here to tell you. Next like bman said we cook by temp not time time is a guess at it. Then your loin and this 3lbs of bacon are you going to wrap your arm too. Just wrap a couple of pieces 3-4 and you'll be fine you want to add alittle fat dripping not drown the thing in fat. So you should have it if you have anymore questions thats what we do here and yes we really do have lives we just like smoking stuff a whole lot. Happy Smoking.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Go to User CP on top, from there go to Edit Options, scroll down to Thread Display Mode, now use the drop window and pick Linear-Oldest First.

That should do it.

For Clarification, please speak for yourself. I personally have stopped cooking to temp and now cook to time at no more than 210 degrees, with the exception of my high heat 350 degree four hour brisket. And it has completely changed the way I smoke food. At 210 degrees, my 3.5lb boston butt that I cooked today took almost 7 hours.

The reason I have chosen this number is because it's JUST under boiling where I live so i'm not braising but hot enough that i'm cooking through. Using this number, I have also found that I can keep the meat below the magical 140 degree marker longer thus producing a much deeper smoke ring/smoke flavor.

Sorry for the hijack, but NOT ALL of us smoke to temp and I wanted to clarify that point.

I do believe for a new person cooking to a certain temp is the best advice.

Nothing personal and I respect your way of doing things but your advice is not for the newbe imo.

I still cook to temp and not time.

Thats just crazy talk. Sure certain things like rib's, it is more experience and a visual determination. But a larger cut of meat and most critically poultry. I'll be damned if I go by time sheesh...............

And I respect everyone else's way of cooking as well, however, I don't attempt to speak for the masses, as such was the reason I posted to begin with. As I stated, it was just for clarification and correction, nothing more.

I'm sure with your cooking style, it works for you and your experience level. I'll continue to cook the way I do as it fits mine.

Smoke rings are less important than safe food temps. What good is a pretty smoke ring and a dangerous product. Below 140' is not safe for many meats including uncured pork especially with cheese and other things inside.

I appreciate the fact you have your own method, as I have mine also, but I try to stay within the food saftey guidelines 40'-140' in 4 hours.

Telling a newbie to smoke by time and not temp is not good advice
IMHO.

That's cool but don't reccomend it to a newbie.
icon_neutral.gif

The one thing SMF promotes is getting newbies off to a good start and making them successful smokers. It is what keeps this going and why we have some of the best, most creatiave smokers on the planet.

Ron,

FWIW, I mean no disrespect to you or any other forum member or OTBS member, but I'M NOT RECOMMENDING IT.

EVERYONE KEEPS MISSING THE PART WHERE I SAID FOR CLARIFICATION, NOT RECOMMENDING ANYTHING..............STOP SPEAKING FOR OTHER PEOPLE! WITH REGARDS TO MY COOKING TECHNIQUE, IT'S NOT MINE, IT'S MIKE MILLS' AND I AM FOLLOWING HIS GUIDANCE TO THE LETTER. IF IT DOESN'T WORK FOR YOU THEN DON'T DO IT! OTHERWISE SOMEONE NEEDS TO PUT HIM OUT OF BUSINESS BECAUSE THOSE ARE HIS WORDS, TO ME, DURING A DIRECT CONVERSATION BETWEEN HIM AND I. STOP KNOCKING THE PROCESS BECAUSE IF IT WERE ALL THAT BAD AND UNSAFE, HE WOULDN'T OWN SO MANY RESTAURANTS AND WON SO MANY AWARDS. PEOPLE, KNOW THE FACTS BEFORE YOU KNOCK THE PROCESS.

Thank you to all who have posted once again great info. Itook the power washer to the new to me smoker last night. This thing was gross but for $10 well worth it. Looks new minus some rust. I then dried started a fire and sprayed down with some vegie oil on the inside and tossed some hickory in to season it.

Which brings me to my next ? After I get the fire going and get to the proper temp and start smoking. Can I just toss in fresh wood charcoal or do I need to get it fired up before I toss it in the chamber?

I was also wondering if second hand smoke is a bad thing. Not sure if I should share

I would have to think that anyone cooking by time would have at some point had to know what temp they were cooking at and at what amount of time the meat got to the desired temp to be done... and then used that from then on as smoking something by a set time. Even if someone I knew said... hey smoke this for this long at this temp and it will be done...... I'd still be checking the internal temp before I put it in my mouth or fed it to anyone else. Although you may be following someone elses timetable and smoking temps... at some point in order to establish doneness the meat had to be checked for internal temp. to pass that info on. Anyone new to smoking meat should understand the basics of smoking. If you have the proper rack temp for the meat your smoking... and you take it to the desired internal temp for the meat your smoking.... it's gonna be good. Not only will it turn out good... it will be safe to eat. Some things are a matter of opinion with this hobby and that is what makes it so much fun.... other things are fact.... and I've learned that food safety is a very important factor in not only eating food... but serving food to the folks you've gotten all hungry smellin it smokin.

PS: on edit....... 3 pounds of bacon...... GOOOOOOD Lord Man!

This thing had 1.5 pounds of cooked bacon inside it and was wrapped with another pound of bacon.... half pound shy of 3 pounds.

2952_1093984343604_1046423994_30239231_1063793_n.jpg

I have done a few loins recently and they seem to reach "pull" temp pretty quick. Not exactly sure why but it seems that way. Cooking by temp is the the only way to go.

I have found that there are so many variables that some things cook real slow and some, not to slow.

Post some pics when they are done

Pork loins are very lean and will really dry out on you if you take them much past 160. I've actually never taken a loin to pull temp... which I would think of as 190 to 200. What is your pull temp?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky