Newbie checking in..

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

five-oh

Original poster
Mar 23, 2020
Nearly complete newbie here...I've had an electric smoker for the past few years, and have managed to turn out some pretty good tasting food with it, but nothing more involved than the occasional meatloaf or a pork butt. Saturday, due to having cancelled vacation due to the virus precautions, the wife allowed me to spend some of our budgeted vacation money to buy a new grill/smoker to replace the charcoal grill and the wore out electric smoker.
After 16 years of marriage and using cheap charcoal grills and converted to charcoal gas grills, I was glad to buy my first new grill. After some research I decided on the Pitboss Austin 1000xl. I liked the looks of it, a neighbor has a pitboss and loves it, it wasn't insanely pricy, and had decent reviews, and the local Walmart carries them. Since my wife has been a manager there for years, we get a discount.
I'd had to go to Walmart to do the weekly shopping- absolute mad house- so I called my wife, secured final permission ( I learned a long time ago after a unannounced Corvette purchase that the old saw "Asking for forgiveness is better than asking for permission" does NOT work at my house), and had them load up my new smoker in the back of the old '46 Chevy truck.
Only had one hiccup- my wife, attempting to help me unload it, dropped the barrel on her hand resulting in an E.R. visit an 3 stiches.
After she tasted the shrimp and the steak that came off on the first cook she has ALMOST forgiven me and the grill.
I look forward to many cooks on this and checking in here for tips and recipes. Currently I have a stuffed pork loin smoking, using the recipe from Pittboss's site. We will see how it goes.

welcome from pa, ya joined a great forum. I hope your wife didn't damage your grill when it fell. only kidding, i hope she is ok.

A Big Ole Welcome from East Texas

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky