New Yorker here-New to the site

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rob8213

Original poster
Apr 1, 2013
Hey fellow smokers, Im fairly new to the site.  Been reading tips and stuff on here for a while, but needed to post something under the "Brinkman Trailmaster Limited Edition" smoker thread, since I had some issues maintaining temps this weekend.

I am from NY, about 1 hr north of NYC.  Im an Engineer.  I love to cook,  BBQ, ride my VTX 1800, boat and do yard work to take my mind away from my career.   I am 38, married with 1 dog and 5 cats!

I have been cooking for about 20 yrs, but recently got into using smoking woods in my Weber E330 gas grill, and then made a wacky smoker from an old SS gas grill, and then realized I can afford a $300 Brinkman and did so 2 months ago.

I am at my 4th use this past weekend and had a pretty good turnout, but need to figure out how to NOT have to tend the fire and coals ever 30 mins.

Look forward to BSing with all of you on here!  
usa.gif

:welcome1: to SMF!!! We're happy you found us! You've come to the right place, we have over 45,000 members who just love to share their experience and over 900,000 posts describing it!

The search bar at the top can be your best friend when you are trying to find answers to your questions but you can still ask too if you want!

Would you do us a favor and add your location to your profile, it helps others to know where you are when they offer advice, Thanks!

You might want to check out Jeff's Free 5 day E-Course, it will teach you all the basics plus a whole lot more!

Hello, Like you I'm fairly new at smoking and this forum. But I've several different methods maintaining the temp with different fuels. I've found banking up a good fire with several sticks of wood best. I let it burn down to hot coals then adjust the dampeners to maintain the temp. Before I add the meat I add a stick or two. Then 1-2 every couple hours. I've used the minion method also using charcoal which worked well too. I just like the all wood flavor better. Also not playing peek a boo all the time with the meat helps keeping it up to temp. Hope this helps. Enjoy the smokey goodness.

Unkietable

welcome1.gif
to the forum I also use a BrinkmannTMLE. Make a charcoal box out of expanded metal and do the minion method. Just type in trailmaster in the search and it will bring up all kinds of useful mods and techniques.Also type in minion method and it will explain that also.Gives several hours of burn time on 1 Charcoal box full.Hope this helps.

Happy Smoking

Welcome aboard, Rob!  Glad you joined us. You've found a great place to learn and share ideas. Lots of friendly an knowledgeable folks here who really enjoy helping one another. Just ask when you need help and you'll get plenty.

welcome1.gif
 to SMF!  We are so glad you joined us!   

If you need any help roaming around the forums....just holler!  Happy to help out!

Kat

Welcome Rob! Are you a stationary engineer? What local? If you use the handy search bar at the top of the screen and search for charcoal basket... The instructions are simple I just made one this morning... You'll fit a ton more charcoal and once you make temp in the smoker and just adjust the dampers to maintain you'll be set for hours!

Welcome to the site.  All we need is about 75,000 more NY SMF members to convince the rest of them that BBQ is NOT hotdogs and burgers.....

Lance

Reactions: rob8213
lowesdadof3,

Im a Mechanical Engineer.  Not union, I wish.  Work for a private company that works in NYC on schools, hospitals, libraries, Rikers island, etc. 

I also built one last night.  Managed to fit a nice 10"H x 10"W x 12"L  box.  I am also going to fill that ash tray up with fireplace ashes which will create a nice block for any small air inlets or ash pan openings and also create a nice bed of ash which seems to help with temp control.

I am also installing a fire box - to - grill area baffle plate using an old oven grate, and installing a 90 deg 4" elbow at the chimney outlet to keep the temp more at the grate level, and lastly installing 2 new temp gauges at the grate level so I can know the exact temp at the grates.

I think that should make this weekend BBQing go much smoother.....and more time to drink my beer and work on my house / lawn.

Thanks!

Sounds great!!! Don't forget the pics... We like pics of everything!!!! Mods food, food prep!!! Do it up! I'm a stationery operating engineer with local 94 I work at 3 Times Square its a great industry! The commute back to the Poconos limits my Q time though! Good luck and keep us posted

Welcome,Rob . The SMF welcomes you to the neiborhood . Hope you choose to call this your home for reliable info. in Smoking and other cooking methods.

As for tending fire , here's a bit of reading for you  ...  http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/a/stickburning101

Being a Wood burner , I enjoy the setting and tending the Fire... it's part of the fun and keeps me outside longer.
biggrin.gif

Have fun and...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky