New to smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Joshua0813

Original poster
May 11, 2019
So I've only been smoking meat for about a year I've learned through trial and error and I was wondering if I use hickory sawdust in a 100lb sausage maker electric smoker what would be the best method of lighting the fire. The smoker came with an electric starter. Should I be lighting it to see fire or try to light it alittle and let the coals light the rest. Should I be wetting the sawdust, or should I also be using wood chips. Any and all tips would be appreciated.

I have a large pellet smoker and found out this year that overloading it will keep too much moisture in the cabinet. Mine can hold 50 Lbs but works much better with a 25 lb load snack sticks that is. FWIW

Give us a bit more info on your setup.

Welcome to the site, happy to have ya join up. I don't know how your smoker works, but to me wet dust equals mush and would be very difficult to lite.

Chris

Reactions: JC in GB
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky