New to smoking and need help!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well, I lit my pit and started another trial run today. I was fighting it a bit (much better than previous times) but then it started to rain.. I have seen the most consistent temps since this rain started and it’s kind of aggrivating. Lol.

Well there you go, next time you fire the Okie Joe up if it's not raining get the sprinkler going at the same time.

Seriously, I used to use a char-griller duo w/side fire box, although not the same grill it is similar. I didn't use splits at all just chunks. What I had to do to solve basically the same issue while maintaining sanity was to spread a good layer of unlit coals along the upper grate in the firebox. Then I would lite about a half of a chimney or so and place those on the side nearest the vent in a row front to back. Close the firebox door let it take hold and come up near the temp(about 10 or so degrees below) I wanted. Then I would adjust the intake vents to stabilize at my desired temp.

Keep the chin up, sounds like your getting there.

Chris

BA9F088E-5FCA-4D9F-83F5-078C37F8ACEC.jpeg
56B61BD3-6A8A-4733-B9BF-B05F1D87BA7C.jpeg
5A3ABF0A-98B7-4103-8514-622F0A0AE83A.jpeg
Well guys, I jumped feet first in for Father’s Day today and cooked a 12lb brisket. There were definitely some things i could have done better, but over all it came out great. 6 guest said it was the best brisket they’ve ever had!

I've had my Joe for over 2 yrs now and I have it pretty much figured out. I start off with filling a chimney full of briquettes and after about 30 mins put them in the fire box. I then add a log or two of smoke. What I have learned is that if I want to smoke between the range of 220-250 then I need to add wood when it reaches high 230s. Basically, I need to stay ahead of it b/c if I wait until it hits the low end of my range, I will usually drop below before it gets back.

I also learned that after about 5/6hrs, I will lose temp and I think the reason is b/c of all the ash in the fire box. So I load up on wood around that time to combat that.

My latest challenge is getting too much smoke flavor. Now I normally just keep feeding smoke wood throughout the entire process but I think I'm going to cut back and smoke for half the cook and then use charcoal for the rest. At first, I didn't want to do that b/c I lost heat but I think that was b/c I was new at using it. I also need to pressure wash my Joe b/c I have black stuff peeling off. (I used pine wood in the past which was a mistake I have learned)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky