New to smoking and bought a 14lb brisket!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cpl1992

Original poster
Apr 17, 2020
Hi guys! I'm new to smoking. We bought a tall vertical smoker and a 14-lb+ brisket. We'll have to 1/2 it and place one brisket on each shelf (each a little over 7 lbs). Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Gonna do a simple dry rub. Celebrating Easter dinner a week late with the family who has been under one roof during the quarantine for the last several weeks. Weather was snowy and cold in the Texas panhandle this past weekend so we'll do our egg hunt with the grandson on Sunday, too! My husband is a retired Marine and I'm an Army vet and we love the outdoors. Making the most of being stuck at home. :) Thanks and looking forward to learning!

I'm no pro...many here are and can give you sound cooking tips. My simple advice is to start earlier than you think you need too. Every time I've done one, it has taken much longer than I planned. At worst, it can rest, wrapped, for a couple or three hours.

Hi guys! I'm new to smoking. We bought a tall vertical smoker and a 14-lb+ brisket. We'll have to 1/2 it and place one brisket on each shelf (each a little over 7 lbs). Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Gonna do a simple dry rub. Celebrating Easter dinner a week late with the family who has been under one roof during the quarantine for the last several weeks. Weather was snowy and cold in the Texas panhandle this past weekend so we'll do our egg hunt with the grandson on Sunday, too! My husband is a retired Marine and I'm an Army vet and we love the outdoors. Making the most of being stuck at home. :) Thanks and looking forward to learning!
First of all let me thank you both for your service. It's appreciated by many.
I'm taking a guess that it's propane. Have you fired it up yet?

By half it do you me cut down the middle length wise or separate the point from the flat? I would personally separate the point from the flat if I had to cut it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky