New mod to a tried and true

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JOHN CLOW

Original poster
Jan 27, 2018
La Ceiba, Honduras
Hey all. So it’s been a long time since I’ve posted. Several years back I jumped on the Mini WSM truck and had great smoke success and fun with it. About a year ago the bottom of my Smokey Joe finally rusted out enough that I could no longer use it. I’ve been using a 22” Weber with some mods to allow indirect heat with some good success but always missed this little bad boy. I finally got motivated and had an old used up balloon helium tank and figured through a way cut it up to take the place of the old bottom of the Smokey joe. Today is the test and so far so good. I had to turn the tamale shelf I had used as a diffuser sometimes upside down and attach it to the bottom of the pot so it fit snug on the helium tank. It took a while to get up to the 250* mark but it seems to be holding ok for now. I may have to increase the opening on the the diffuser but we’ll see. Look forward to getting this little baby smoking again.

upload_2019-1-19_14-45-30.jpeg

Last edited:
upload_2019-1-19_19-10-20.jpeg

So I couldn’t stand to let a heated up smoker go to waste so I threw these tilapia fillets on about 45 min ago. Getting ready to eat em with the wife.

Initial test went ok. It maintained about 255* for about 5 hrs before it started slowly dropping off. I need to make a deeper charcoal basket and I think it’ll be golden.

Now to clean off the outside and painting it. Any thoughts on whether I should burn off the old outside paint??

So I lied. Not on purpose. My wife took the fish out of the freezer and said it was Sea Bass. Either way it was good. I used some chunks of a lime tree limb I cut in our back yard a few months ago and had been drying out. Good flavor.

upload_2019-1-19_19-53-51.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-19_19-53-13.jpeg
    upload_2019-1-19_19-53-13.jpeg
    81.1 KB · Views: 18
Nice job on the build and fish. Did you get a little of the munchkin voice when cutting the tank.

Point for sure
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky