New Here... and have a question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sbolden

Original poster
Mar 4, 2017
Hi... This is my first post here. My name is Scott and I live in Germantown, Maryland. I have used a cheap $50 smoker for several years and decided to buy an electric 4-rack Bradley Smoker. After several uses, I find that the skin on chicken wings is extremely tough on the Bradley, so have returned to the basic charcoal smoker. I'm curious if anyone has had this issue? I would welcome any suggestions as I would really like to use the electric Bradley Smoker more often. 
Thanks in advance!

Scott

Welcome to SMF Scott!

What temp were you running the Bradley at?

For crispy skin you need temps in the 300-350 range.

Al

Thank you Al...

It has been awhile and I can't honestly remember the temperature setting but will try your suggestion again and see what results it yields.

Again, thanks for the quick feedback and welcome!

Scott

Welcome Scott!

Yup. What Al said. Most electric smokers don't go that high of a temp, but lucky for you, your Bradley has a max temp of 320'!

Also, I might suggest, If you are using a water bowl, don't put any water in it. either leave it out completely or fill it with sand.

Thanks as well... I've heard about using sand instead of water but have never tried it.  Will give it a go!

Scott

Hi... This is my first post here. My name is Scott and I live in Germantown, Maryland. I have used a cheap $50 smoker for several years and decided to buy an electric 4-rack Bradley Smoker. After several uses, I find that the skin on chicken wings is extremely tough on the Bradley, so have returned to the basic charcoal smoker. I'm curious if anyone has had this issue? I would welcome any suggestions as I would really like to use the electric Bradley Smoker more often. 
Thanks in advance!

Scott
Hi there and welcome!

Rubbery/leathery chicken skin is a common and sometimes well known issue with electric smokers.  As stated above get over 300F and you can probably fix that.

I have a whole thread on my quest to get acceptable chicken skin in my Masterbuilt Elecric Smoker (MES)

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/257996/the-acceptable-chicken-skin-quest-mes-chicken-smoking

I'm still in the process of working on it and will continue to report back to that thread as I cook more chicken with skin and try to get some definitive info on how to resolve the issue.  Much of the "put in the oven for X minutes" info just hasnt worked for me so I want to provide some concrete information if I can to help those of us who encounter the problem :)

texas.gif
  Good morning and welcome to the forum from a wet and windy day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of                great people with tons of information on just about everything.

Gary

Welcome aboard, I'm new around here too.  I have been working with a Bradley 6 rack for about 8 years and saw the same thing with chicken skin as you.  I essentially gave up trying to use it on chicken.  The guys above hit the highlights, one more idea you can try as well. 

I have spent the winter working indoors with my convection oven trying to work out the best method for chicken thighs.  I spent a good bit of time reading up on to chemical reactions involved in brining and the differences in dry vs. wet.  What I found (including yesterday) was dry brining the chicken with salt and letting them sit on a rack in the extra beer fridge in the garage (preferably overnight) uncovered and cooking at 325F for 45-60 minutes gives me a beautifully crispy chicken skin and really juicy meat inside. You'd think it was fried its that good.  Indoors I have been using an apple wood smoked sea salt, about one grind per side and rub the salt on the skin and underneath as best you can.  My plan is to try this on thighs and then eventually wings in the Bradley (with regular sea salt) once the weather warms up a bit.  I haven't modified my Bradley at all so it is hard to get it up over 300F when its still in the 30s ambient temperature (I'm in PA).  The experiments this winter should pay off soon...

Welcome aboard, I'm new around here too.  I have been working with a Bradley 6 rack for about 8 years and saw the same thing with chicken skin as you.  I essentially gave up trying to use it on chicken.  The guys above hit the highlights, one more idea you can try as well. 

I have spent the winter working indoors with my convection oven trying to work out the best method for chicken thighs.  I spent a good bit of time reading up on to chemical reactions involved in brining and the differences in dry vs. wet.  What I found (including yesterday) was dry brining the chicken with salt and letting them sit on a rack in the extra beer fridge in the garage (preferably overnight) uncovered and cooking at 325F for 45-60 minutes gives me a beautifully crispy chicken skin and really juicy meat inside. You'd think it was fried its that good.  Indoors I have been using an apple wood smoked sea salt, about one grind per side and rub the salt on the skin and underneath as best you can.  My plan is to try this on thighs and then eventually wings in the Bradley (with regular sea salt) once the weather warms up a bit.  I haven't modified my Bradley at all so it is hard to get it up over 300F when its still in the 30s ambient temperature (I'm in PA).  The experiments this winter should pay off soon...
That is great info to have!

Please feel free to contribute any experimenting and/or findings my quest for acceptable chicken skin thread lol

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/257996/the-acceptable-chicken-skin-quest-mes-chicken-smoking

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky