new guy grill reccomendations

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
A lot will depend on the efficiency of your smoker. I think Im getting bagged wood about that size, while my home cut is seasoning, and it gives me 2-5 cooks depending on what I'm cooking. Also, I split mine in half or thirds and one or two every 25-30 min. But again, it comes down to duration, temp range and above all, efficiency.

In my Lang RF stick burner it takes about 4-5 pieces of wood to get her going (lit with a half chimney of charcoal) and up to temp (usually up to cleaning temp) and then once i lock in about 250-275 degrees (and put the meat on) i put about a stick every hour of the cook time. but with my RF i cook things a lot faster than i would on my WSM. at that temp a 9# Boston butt takes abut 7-8 hours. If you going to go all wood fire with a stick burner then you are better off buying wood by the load (like 1/3-1/2 cord) not by the small bag. if you going charcoal with some wood chunks than by the bag is ok. if i had to pay $25 in wood for one smoke i couldn't afford this hobby!

Happy Smoking,

phatbac (Aaron)
Thanks for the explanation, that helps a lot! So, if im reading your post correctly, I can use more charcoal with wood chunks to compliment it rather than solely wood-While still using a side burner, and still turn out ok (obviously, depending on my abilities, keeping temps good, etc)? 

Did I understand that right?

Thanks for the explanation, that helps a lot! So, if im reading your post correctly, I can use more charcoal with wood chunks to compliment it rather than solely wood-While still using a side burner, and still turn out ok (obviously, depending on my abilities, keeping temps good, etc)? 

Did I understand that right?
Depends on your smoker really. you can use charcoal wood mix but if its a bigger smoker you would go through a lot of charcoal (usually more expensive than wood) if its  small one like a OK joes or charbroil or something (which i have had) you can use a primarily charcoal fire and add wood chunks or small splits for flavoring. i would use Lump charcoal if that is what you plan to do. (Royal Oak is really good lump)

Hope this Helps,

phatbac (Aaron)

In my Lang RF stick burner it takes about 4-5 pieces of wood to get her going (lit with a half chimney of charcoal) and up to temp (usually up to cleaning temp) and then once i lock in about 250-275 degrees (and put the meat on) i put about a stick every hour of the cook time. but with my RF i cook things a lot faster than i would on my WSM. at that temp a 9# Boston butt takes abut 7-8 hours. If you going to go all wood fire with a stick burner then you are better off buying wood by the load (like 1/3-1/2 cord) not by the small bag. if you going charcoal with some wood chunks than by the bag is ok. if i had to pay $25 in wood for one smoke i couldn't afford this hobby!

Happy Smoking,

phatbac (Aaron)
And, these cheap big box store smokers aren't nearly as efficient as a Lang, so you'll go through lots of wood.

Here is a chart of the different woods that can be used for smoking and what meat works best with the wood. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky