New Guy From Utah

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

slow8

Original poster
Apr 21, 2010
Hey All,

Just started smoking/BBQing last year. I got a 7 in One gas unit from Cabellas and have been playing with Pork shoulders. I finally got it figured out to where I can turn out some decent meat on a consistent basis.

I have figured out that the unit does not work well for me, If the wind kicks up at all, I lose about 40-50 degrees in heat and have to constantly fight the temps. If the outside temp is lower than about 55, I can not get it up to temp.

There are units for these type smokers to convert to electric which would close off the bottom. Is that a better way to maintain temp?

I am thinking of getting a Masterbuilt electric smoker. They seem to be well insulated (which would really extend my season here). I have read about the wiring problems and I am under the impression that the new units are easier to fix and maintain. Any thoughts on a black 30" MES?

Can't wait to start playing with Fatties and I really want to do some Pastrami.

Welcome to SMF glad you decided to join us. You'll find lots of good info and some great recipes here. Seems I hear a lot of people complain about the 7 in 1 tho I've never personally used one. Many of our members have and like the MES and turn out some great looking stuff with them.

Welcome, SloW8-

One of the problems with thin-walled smokers of any fuel type is that they do not retain heat very well and are slow to recover the heat you do lose when you open the door or cover. One thing that helps on windy days is to build you a windbreak the will redirect the wind around your smoker.

Oh, I am... Game two against the Thuggets was the best game of the playoffs.

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to your first qview.

I am back! 

I just got myself a Traeger Lil Tex for Christmas and I can't wait to start smoking something.  This weekend I plan on breaking it in with a pork shoulder.  Hopefully the snow isn't too deep and the temps aren't too cold. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky