New Dyna-Glo vertical offset smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Did my third cook today and the temperature held better at a consistent 225 to 230. I put my water pan on the bottom rack instead of the floor to also work as a battle. I also tried a different way of lighting my charcoal. Instead of putting my light coals in the middle like a volcano I put them all in one of the corners about 12. I didn't have any temperature spikes and it stayed at a consistent 225 to 230.
I am glad to hear you had better temp control today, there is more than one way to burn charcoal using the minion method and a charcoal basket glad to hear you had better luck today without cutting up your fire box, as mentioned earlier. Don't panic you will figure it all out.

So now it looks like I can get a consistent 225. Next to see how I can get it up around 250 consistently. Maybe start off with a few more lid briquettes?

So now it looks like I can get a consistent 225. Next to see how I can get it up around 250 consistently. Maybe start off with a few more lid briquettes?
are you using minion method to reach 225 deg. if so I would make small adjustments to air flo at fire box not much bc you are already at 225 deg.How much is exhaust vent open. these are the two I would be playing with bc you are right there, to much correction might lead to frustration

I do use the minion method. The first couple times I did it like a volcano with the 15 lit coals in the middle. But last time I put 12 lit coals in one of the corners. I had my vent all the way open on the Firebox. So after the 3 to 4 hours runs out and I need to relight again any ideas on what is the best way to do so?

Thanks but how do you preheat your charcoal?
I think he means light it in a charcoal chimney and add to unlit coals open fire box damper.I usually wait till temps drop to 200 deg. and light another chimney of coals open your fire box damper and add chimney of lit coals or if you need an extended fire for pork butt or beef brisket add chimney to more unlit coals.Once you are back in your temp range start to adjust damper on the fire box It will all make sense soon.

(I think he means light it in a charcoal chimney and add to unlit coals open fire box damper.)

No, I mean I have a container of charcoal that I sit on top of firebox preheating along with my wood. Really cuts down on pre-light white smoke and doesnt rob all the heat out of the hots that are in the fire basket. The Stubbs that I use is a dense briquet and if it went in cold it would really delay a proper minion 're-light.

I did my fourth cook on the Dyna-Glo over the weekend. I did some St Louis spares, pork belly burnt ends and some pork tenderloin. Everything ran pretty smooth at a constant 225 for the first 3 to 4 hours and when I did a relight it pretty much ran at about 250 for the rest of the time.

I got a Dyno-Glo vertical this past December. I’ve been cooking on it for the past 3 months and love it so far. Good luck with yours.
0527B883-3A3B-44C1-8315-208640AE2886.jpeg

Nursewizzle,according to your original post at the end you say you only cold smoke,how do you do it with your Dyna-glo,keeping temps under 75-80* need to know your secret,or are you just blowing smoke?

I've never said I only cold smoke. Sorry, I don't have any secrets to share.

Nursewizzle,according to your original post at the end you say you only cold smoke,how do you do it with your Dyna-glo,keeping temps under 75-80* need to know your secret,or are you just blowing smoke?
I cold smoke whenever temps allow me too. I purchased a smoke tube for pellets and just fill it up and throw it in the firebox. I have probably cold smoked 250 pound of cheese this winter alone. If the ambient temps are close to 70, just move the smoker into the shade and allow it to sit to acclimate to the shaded temp before beginning to cold smoke.

Glad to see you got it. Stay above invert plane of top hole and you'll be fine. You can also drill some vent hole in the plate to balance out hot spots. View attachment 353448 View attachment 353449 What i've learned from modding mine was once i got it sealed up tight and had my plate in it wanted more air to move heat thru cc to exhaust. Trimmed ash pan which sits in front of bottom of air inlets and blocks acouple sq"'s from under grate flow. I also added upper air inlets to help push air thru with affecting coals (read Dave Omak's -postings on upper air inlets, thanks dave) and opened up my exhaust to 3.5". Check out post #311 in this thread. Example, 60*ambient @235* I can average +/-5hrs full basket w/minion plate. Lower air open 10-15%, upper air 25-50%. With the bigger exhaust I can easily bring temps up fast by closing upper inlets and have all air go to grate. Really works well.

How did you open up the exhaust? Did you take the factory one off and put a new one on? I've been thinking about changing mine to a longer one to get better exhaust draft

Rotozip w/metal cutting bit. Actually I never installed the factory unit. At 1 7/8", I felt it was to small for proper draft especially after installing plate let alone filling the racks with spares. With 3.5" you can leave the rear 3 rivnuts in if you want to use them as attach points. For now I just use a 6"h piece of coiled flashing sealed by nomex tubing around cut edge. May go to 4" which I would trim out exsisting rivnuts then use either a flanged butterfly takeoff with new rivnuts for attach points or a 4" starter collar w/damper.

Last edited:
Rotozip w/metal cutting bit. Actually I never installed the factory unit. At 1 7/8", I felt it was to small for proper draft especially after installing plate let alone filling the racks with spares. With 3.5" you can leave the rear 3 rivnuts in if you want to use them as attach points. For now I just use a 6"h piece of coiled flashing sealed by nomex tubing around cut edge. May go to 4" which I would trim out exsisting rivnuts then use either a flanged butterfly takeoff with new rivnuts for attach points or a 4" starter collar w/damper.

Oh ok, here's what I did as a make shift solution. I cut off the hood piece from factory unit and took a section of my camping wood stove pipe and slid it over the current exhaust

Attachments

• IMG_20180421_144313.jpg
    IMG_20180421_144313.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 211
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky