New Auber controller - smoking in the rain? (pic)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Myoung84

Original poster
Apr 17, 2020
Just got a new Auber wifi controller for my MES30. Did a test run yesterday and held 225 +/- 2 degrees for 30 minutes. Very impressed, usually had 25 degree temp swings on the factory controller that just went out.

Smoking some ribs tomorrow morning and then plan on smoking a boston butt overnight if that goes well. Also just picked up an AMNPS so experimenting with that.

Question is, weather is calling for a few light random rain chances over night. Don't really want this controller ruined, so thinking of putting it in a plastic box. Smoker is up against the house under a lattice covered pergola so it could get some water on it. Any concerns that anyone can see? I'd cut a small hole in the end for the cables and tape over it. Not sure if this thing gets hot as this wouldn't be well ventilated.

20200417_172823.jpg

Don't have alot of experience with them, just got one myself this winter but seems to me you could run into issues with it getting too warm being enclosed like that. I know tallbm tallbm helped me out with mine, maybe he will chime in. Maybe instead of putting it in plastic box just cover it with the container weighted down so wind can't blow it off but still get airflow to it.

Ryan

As a old industrial electrician (67) I can tell you it is not a great idea to run your ELECTRIC smoker in the rain. I think you are worrying about the wrong piece of equipment. You can waterproof your Auber as you described. The cheap Chinese smoker is another thing. Water and electricity are just not friends.
Running one and storing one outside under a good cover is not the same thing. Just my 2 cents wort . I have had a MES 30 since 2013 and have done upgrades I have a good Idea of it's limitations. It is only my opinion others will have there's . Good luck Don't temp fate . Now I sound like a father

Last edited:
Reactions: tallbm
Just got a new Auber wifi controller for my MES30. Did a test run yesterday and held 225 +/- 2 degrees for 30 minutes. Very impressed, usually had 25 degree temp swings on the factory controller that just went out.

Smoking some ribs tomorrow morning and then plan on smoking a boston butt overnight if that goes well. Also just picked up an AMNPS so experimenting with that.

Question is, weather is calling for a few light random rain chances over night. Don't really want this controller ruined, so thinking of putting it in a plastic box. Smoker is up against the house under a lattice covered pergola so it could get some water on it. Any concerns that anyone can see? I'd cut a small hole in the end for the cables and tape over it. Not sure if this thing gets hot as this wouldn't be well ventilated.

Hi there and welcome!

I think your idea would work. It would work even better if you sat the auber on something like a brick and then covered it and then weighted down the cover.

Now as jted stated I don't think cover the auber is the biggest issue. If you get rain into the unit and into any of the electrical parts that could cause an issue, at best the breaker would flip.

I have a similar situation where I run my MES40 in a little shed and if there is a chance of sprinkling or something light I lower the lid and lock it in place while still allowing the smoke to get out. I also run my plug inside my house through the doggy door so no cord or none of my unit is exposed.
If there is any chance of a shower or real significant rain I simply dont run the MES and would suggest the same.

Here is a collage of images with my little shed, notice middle pic and the last pic are where the lid is lowered as I mention:
full.png

Let us know what you decide on :)

Good news and bad news.... Moved the smoker to the front porch out of the rain and it's been running for 10 hours now. Had a few minutes of light sprinkling so no worries. Smoker held temp solid all night.

Bad news, my AMNPS went out so it smoked for about 8 hours with no smoke. How is this going to affect my meat? I just relit it so the remainder of the cook will have smoke...

20200419_081537.jpg

Good news and bad news.... Moved the smoker to the front porch out of the rain and it's been running for 10 hours now. Had a few minutes of light sprinkling so no worries. Smoker held temp solid all night.

Bad news, my AMNPS went out so it smoked for about 8 hours with no smoke. How is this going to affect my meat? I just relit it so the remainder of the cook will have smoke...

View attachment 440934

Nice that u are up and running.

Don't worry about only getting 8 hrs of smoke, honestly that is plenty for big cuts of meat like Brisket and Pork Butts. On other cuts of meat that can be way too much, so it depends on what you are smoking but I think u are ok.

I did a brisket and my pellets went out at about 6 hours and I re-lit in the morning to get another 3-4 hours and it was plenty. I like a full tray of smoke using 100% mesquite bellets but having 5-6 hours only is still good but not as good as having more IMO. Again with this info you should be fine.

What are you smoking?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky