Need some opinions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nomadd917

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 27, 2017
Peoria, IL
On Saturday I have a party to go to for the UFC pay-per-view. I am wanting to take burnt ends. I bought a 15.5 lbs usda prime packer brisket last week from Costco. However, this brisket is too big to fit in my smoker in one piece. I was thinking of of the following two options:

1. Split my brisket between the flat in the point. Smoke the point on Saturday for burnt ends and freeze the flat for future use.

2. Freeze the Packer brisket for future use and by a cheaper roast to make burnt ends.

I need to either use this brisket soon or freeze it for future use. It has a packing date of 7-16-17 and I bought it on 7-17-17. Pictures attached of brisket in packaging. Right now it is sitting in my refrigerator flex drawer set a temperature of 33°F.

Opinions? Thoughts?

On a sidenote. I absolutely love my Samsung refrigerator with this flex drawer. I didn't want it at first because I thought it was pointless but my wife convinced me otherwise. Now I keep all my meat and beer in this drawer at 33°. She's not too pleased about that it I keep it pretty well stocked with raw meat and beer.

I would split the brisket like you said, then freeze the flat.

How much burnt end are you wanting to make?

I ask because you could but the brisket flat to where the brisket will have both the point and flat still together and still fit in your smoker for a brisket smoke.  

The brisket flat part cut off could then likely be turned into burnt ends.

This way you basically get the best of both worlds.  

My mother cuts briskets in half and smokes them so they cook quicker.  It all comes out well with no issues even though one half has the point plus flat and the other has just flat lol.

Let us know what you decide on and I would love to see how it turns out :)

There will be around 5-7 people including myself. My neighbor throws the parties and usually charges $20 but he provides all the food and beer. He is giving me free entrance if bring some burnt ends as a main snack. So I need enough for 7 guys. I'm thinking probably around 7 or 8 pounds of raw meat should be plentiful.

I think I just going to split the brisket in equal halves and smoke the half that has the point for the burnt ends and freeze the flat half for future use.

You'll lose roughly half your weight while making those burnt ends. So if you want 7-8 pounds of finished product start with 14-16 pounds of brisket point.

I make burnt ends with Chuck roasts all the time with great results...that being said nothing beats the real thing.
FYI on needing to freeze the brisket soon...if the brisket is cryo packed it is good for a minimum of 30 days after the packed on date...many cooks like to let large cuts of cryo packed meat set for at least 30 days to age.
The meat does not age as in dry aging, but the enzymes do start to break the meat down and the claim is it'll be more tender.

Walt

I hate the thought of freezing 1/2 the brisket. I have thought about cooking both halves at the same time. I guess I'll decide soon.

I have cooked brisket that was too long to fit on my 18" bullet smoker by wrapping a red clay brick in foil and setting it on edge in the center of the grate and draping the brisket over the brick...this shortens the over all length of the brisket just enough to fit...after a few hours of smoking the brisket shrinks enough to remove the brick.

Walt.

I have cooked brisket that was too long to fit on my 18" bullet smoker by wrapping a red clay brick in foil and setting it on edge in the center of the grate and draping the brisket over the brick...this shortens the over all length of the brisket just enough to fit...after a few hours of smoking the brisket shrinks enough to remove the brick.

Walt.

I may have to give this a try.

If you can fit it in your smoker by cutting it in manageable halves or pieces, then do that and cook it all. Make your point into burnt ends as you wish and make the rest into shredded beef and add some buns and pickles, slaw or whatever. Smoke all rubbed pieces on the grates until about the stall (around 165' or so). Do your point burnt ends as you were. Let the flat braise covered in a foil pan with beef stock or some Dr. Pepper, add worsy, some onion, some Jalepeno,  Braise until its falling apart (205'). Drain (save juices if desired)  Vac-seal and save for later whatever quantity you don't want to take. Mix in some more rub and/or BBQ sauce if desired to taste or serve BBQ sauce on the side. 

Walt.
Awesome Idea! I wonder if can do that in the mini? Now I gotta try that...

I was thinking about using a bacon hanger hung from an eyebolt inside the lid to hang one vertically.

"It has a packing date of 7-16-17 and I bought it on 7-17-17. Pictures attached of brisket in packaging. Right now it is sitting in my refrigerator flex drawer set a temperature of 33°F."

With that date, you have the option of aging it for a while, up to ~45 days.  There is no rush to cook or freeze it by this weekend; it should be fine (maybe better) up to Labor Day

Last edited:
"It has a packing date of 7-16-17 and I bought it on 7-17-17. Pictures attached of brisket in packaging. Right now it is sitting in my refrigerator flex drawer set a temperature of 33°F."

With that date, you have the option of aging it for a while, up to ~45 days.  There is no rush to cook or freeze it by this weekend; it should be fine (maybe better) up to Labor Day

Would it still age at 33* F?

Nomad, there are diverse opinions about aging brisket.  Some say it does not help the flavor, others say it does.  Some say that aging makes no difference for tenderizing and the low and slow cook is what causes tenderness.  But no one says it hurts the end product.  Most say it can (should) be aged for 40-50 days.  You can do a search of this forum and read for yourself.

I had a choice grade brisket that I aged for well over 30 day and it came out perfect.  A prime grade might have been even better.  So you aren't under any pressure to use it or cook it in the next few days.  If you decide to age it, you could get another cut of something to make burnt ends.

All this is predicated on the fact that your brisket is still in the unbroken cryovac packaging.  If it's been opened, all bets are off.  Also, you might want to raise the temperature of your flex drawer to about 35.  You're now close to the freezing point where no tissue changes would take place.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky