Need an advice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MikeKnopfler

Original poster
Apr 9, 2020
I have done some reading on cold smoking. I just want to make sure I got this straight. I want to start making bacon. I plan on purchasing an AMPS. Now I just fill that with pellets or sawdust, light and put in the bottom of the smoker correct?

Kinda-sorta! You have to use a torch (Butane) and hold it on the pellets/dust for several minutes until they ignite for an inch or more, then let sit while they get good ignition, then blow out the flame and allow them to smoulder while out in the open air, THEN put the tray into your smoker and provide it with an air source so it will continue to smoulder! Then do a happy dance that you are successful!

Pop's has you covered.
Pellets I usually microwave 1 min, open door allow to cool slightly then another min. Keep an eye on them so no flare ups. Had happen on paper plate.

as the others said I usually microwave my pellets for 2-3 minutes, light and let burn for 10-15 minutes before blowing out and putting in smoker. what type of smoker ya have. were you planning on getting the amnps tray or tube. tray you'll get 9-12 hours of smoke, tubes ya usually get 5-6 hours.

Don't microwave on a paper plate and over 60 seconds on high and they get hot enough to burn you. Please be careful...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky