Need a new smoker and have some questions about WooD and Pellet smokers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shea1973

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
From Vandalia Illinois
Need a new smoker. After about 15 years my smoker is slowly falling apart do to major rust. One wheel fell off, just rusted off and another wheel is about to come off due to major rust. The place where you put the Charcoal and Wood on is about rusted thru as well.

So basically wanting to get different peoples opinion about the difference between the Charcoal/wood smoker and a Pellet Smoker. Been thinking about buying a Pellet Smoker because it sounds easier to use versus Charcoal/wood smoker? Also if anyone can point me a decent priced Charcoal/wook and/or Pellet smoker, prices for my budget would be in the $200 - $300 range.

Thank you for any advice and help you can give in this decision of mine.

You will get more smoke from an offset smoker but the pellet grills are just so much easier to use. I don't think a main smoker should be wood. Just my .02

Shea, I went with a Woodwind pellet smoker but in reality you get a different smoke profile than with lump charcoal and wood chunks for smoke. My friend next door uses a BGE with charcoal and wood chunks, and his food is usually too smokey for our taste.

Because my wife and I don't like smoke flavor that is too pronounced, and because I like the ease of a pellet smoker that's what I went with.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky