My trip home today...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hawgheaven

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
May 5, 2007
...was almost a disaster! There is a God!

I was heading to Lowes to pick up my new CG smoker, heading south on Rt 1, following a Dodge pickup with a load of furniture in the bed. I was thinking to myself, "Self, he hasn't got that load strapped in very well and it's awful windy..." Well, just as I pulled into the left lane to pass him, one of the couches launched up in the air, did a real purdy Talladega flip in mid air, then came down about a foot from my right front fender. All at 65 MPH! I've never seen so many cars scramble every-which-way and have nothing getting hit, bent or decapitated.
eek.gif
eek.gif

Wow.

The bright ending to the story is that I got my smoker, and at a discount I might add! Lowes has a sign hanging in the grill dept. that any grill, gas, charcoal or electric, and over $99 was 20% off. I checked with the clerk, he said the CG fell into that category. WOOHOO!

I get up to the register and nothing gets discounted. Okay, here it comes, get the manager. He says that's a smoker and it doesn't qualify. Now, I argued since the firebox was sold separate that the chamber qualified as a grill, and that it does not become a smoker until I bolt this firebox on it -that I am buying at an extra cost to do the conversion BTW! Plus the sign was hanging right over the stack of CG's.

I got my discount on the chamber anyway. So, I plunked down $150 and headed home a happy, yet still rattled, camper.
PDT_Armataz_01_07.gif

Glad to know you made it safely home. Now why can't we ge someone like you to represent us folks in governmwent? On the other hand... don't go there.

They do all the time Shell.. I just can't believe this guy had nothing strapped down vertically, especially in this wind! He had a skinny piece of rope tied across the back of the load, I guess in an effort to keep the load from shifting backwards.

That didn't work in the vertical plane...

good deal on the grill (wink wink) there hawg.. i've had my share of experinces on those stretches of highway..got mugged at prices corner...watched a gasoline truck explode and burn on the bridge of 495 right before new castle.. and then basin rd. but thats another thread all by itself

Yeah... good idea Rich... don't go there...
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Mugged at Prices Corner? Yikes! That's about a mile and a half from where I work!
frown.gif

that was 20 yrs ago..haven't been back there since..i lived on college ave. in newark for a while, also brookside.. and chelsea estates in new castle..still have some family in the area and have a getaway done in the slower part at prime hook..

Very familiar with the area... let me know when you are in the area again, maybe we can hook up for some brew and Q!

You talkin about the Stone Balloon? If so, nope... they tore it down last year and put up some kinda structure totally unrelated to adult beverocity. I truly don't know what's there now.

Geez Hawg! ... one day you're fussing over the size of switches on a thermometer, and then you're testing the Lord's love for ya.
Watch your butt guy ... too many crazies out there!
Happy to hear you dodged the bullet.

Thanks for the concern y'all!

I'm sure the guy directly behind him soiled his shorts big time!
icon_eek.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky