My mom's "emergency stash" Weber Kettle and reusable charcoal

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rbstern

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 22, 2023
N. Georgia
My mother and stepdad retired from NJ to central FL about 20 years ago. My mom had become the primary caregiver for my grandmother, and took her to FL when they moved. As part of "prepping" for taking care of an elder in FL, she bought a Weber Kettle grill and a box of Diamond Black Charwood "reusable" charcoal from the local Ace Hardware. The idea was: She would still be able to cook if they had a hurricane or other disaster that disrupted utilities.

Fortunately, she never needed to use the grill for that. With no interest in grilling, the Weber sat, in the box, unassembled and unused, in the garage, all these years.

During my visits the last few years, I've started bringing steaks. I cook them on that grill. I've now done four cooks on it. And I've only had to refuel the grill once. That Diamond charcoal is a strange thing! It lasts a lot longer than regular charcoal. I don't claim to understand why. It just does. When I finish cooking, I close the vents, the coals go out. The next day, I store the grill that way, after disposing of the ash in the ash pan. The grill remains clean and rust free. Really well made product.

Not news to most here: The Weber Kettle is a pleasure to grill on, super easy to use, and the steaks are always amazing.

I think my mother's Weber Kettle might be the most casually owned grill, ever. :)

Glad to see it's getting some use after all that time. My mother-in-law has one that my father-in-law purchased many years ago and, aside from a bit of rust on the ash sweeper, and a misplaced charcoal grate (brother-in-law) there have been no issues in the several uses I've given it. The Weber kettle is worth the money.

Reactions: JLeonard
It's most likely binchotan charcoal, like the Japanese use.
It's hard as glass and if broken in two pieces the ends look like black glass.
Emits very little smoke which is why the Japanese use it indoors in resturants.
When finished cooking with it, they submerge the burning sticks in water to extinguish and after drying out, they are good to go again, and again etc...

It's most likely binchotan charcoal, like the Japanese use.
It's hard as glass and if broken in two pieces the ends look like black glass.
Emits very little smoke which is why the Japanese use it indoors in resturants.
When finished cooking with it, they submerge the burning sticks in water to extinguish and after drying out, they are good to go again, and again etc...
I guess that would work with chunks in a kettle? Might have to look into it. Probably not a good idea in a gravity feed though?

Did a bit of research. Not a ton of info about the product out there, but they have a Youtube vid. Apparently, it's about the quality control and purity of the carbonization process. Their product responds more precisely to available airflow, so it shuts down combustion quickly when you cut off the airflow, preserving the unburned product for another use.

I make my own lump at home, from trees harvested on my property, so this isn't something I would buy for my grilling needs, but I enjoy cooking with it at my mom's place.

I don't know if it's on YouTube or not, I'll check later but the Japanese channel's (NHK) documentary was mind blowing.
The guys who hand make it treat it like making a Katana, they are that dedicated and committed to the final product.
I kid you you not, a piece made from a four inch diameter tree limb (forget their favorite tree) when cracked into pieces produces black glass segments, it's crazy.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky