My MES30 is smokin’……peppers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kilohertz

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 29, 2022
Vernon, BC Canada
The peppers have finally appeared at our local farmers markets today, and I bought jalapeño and cherry bomb, and have loaded them on the racks in the Mes30, and I am now dehydrating/smoking, one of the reasons I bought the Mes30. I built a PID controller for it and it is working awesome. I’ve been smoking at 145° for about three hours bumped it to 160° and I’m just wondering what I should leave it at overnight, the smoke will run out around 2 AM.

Last year I was using my Komodo cooker to dry the peppers with a stove element and it would take 2 or 3 days to dry out the peppers. I modified the Mes30 and have six shelves in it now with the mailbox mod, seems to be working just perfectly.

Thanks!

1690515511019.jpeg

Last edited:
The peppers have finally appeared at our local farmers markets today, and I bought jalapeño and cherry bomb, and have loaded them on the racks in the Mes30, and I am now dehydrating/smoking, one of the reasons I bought the Mes30. I built a PID controller for it and it is working awesome. I’ve been smoking at 145° for about three hours bumped it to 160° and I’m just wondering what I should leave it at overnight, the smoke will run out around 2 AM.

Last year I was using my Komodo cooker to dry the peppers with a stove element and it would take 2 or 3 days to dry out the peppers. I modified the Mes30 and have six shelves in it now with the mailbox mod, seems to be working just perfectly.

Thanks!

View attachment 671830

I cut jalapenos in half and did some other peppers in the past and felt they were "grind" dried in way less than an over night smoke. Maybe something like 5-8 hours!

I don't know how long you would need to go for those almost whole peppers but I would keep an eye on them every 3 hours or so.

Maybe someone who smokes a lot more peppers than I will chime in lol

Reactions: kilohertz
I used to cut them in half, I started trimming off the stem end and smoking them whole last fall, I liked the results. I was making Chipotles in adobo sauce.

I just turned it down to 145*, that's what my Kamado was able to hold. I'm off tomorrow so I can monitor the progress. I don't think they will scorch overnight at that temp. 4 hours now and they are still soft and wet, smoke tube with dust is about halfway.

Planning to use some of these in my next sausage project... Chorizo.

cheers

Reactions: tallbm and JLeonard
Your peppers are looking great!
I have about another week or two before the Hatch Chilies show up in the stores here.
Looking forward to it.

Reactions: kilohertz
Going to make something good from them. Man that smoker is clean.
Thanks to your comment, I had another look at the picture to see if it really is clean, it is, but what I spotted was a senior moment problem, I had moved the aluminum plate over the air intake pipe from the mailbox a few days ago and forgot to remove it. DOH! Should help the drying process now that we have good airflow again. :emoji_rolling_eyes:

Jeeeez.

Cheers

It's been 24 hours now and I have pulled about 6 off that were getting crunchy ready to grind, some are getting leathery and some are still soft. I ran another tube of smoke this morning, still holding it at 155* with the exhaust fan pulling air thru the smoker.

Cheers

Reactions: tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky