My MB 560 Gravity Feed Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rexster314

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 7, 2012
Texas Gulf Coast
Today I was sitting nonchalantly at my computer and my wife came in and asked me "do you want that smoker?" I had posted a picture of the new MB on Facebook a day or two ago and said it looked interesting.
Any way, we danced around it a couple of minutes, telling her it was 500 bucks and all. She told me why don't you get it? HOLY CRAP!! I checked on Walmart site and a local store had one in stock! Bought it on the spot and about an hour later I got the email saying it was ready to be picked up at the store.
Drove down, got it loaded in the Expedition and I was homeward bound.
Got it unloaded by myself (carefully) and began unboxing. I would like to meet the guy who computer designed the packing method at MB. Wow!
Got everything separated and all parts laid down on my deck. I started timing the operation when I put the first screw in the hold. Someone mentioned on a forum the assembly manual. It's mostly pictures and fairly easy to follow. With a few 10 minute breaks, I was finished in 2 hours. The worst part is starting the mounting screws for the lid handle. Mostly a blind operation and if you drop a screw in between the walls of the lid, you're pretty much out of luck getting it out. And, I did. It must be jammed somehow, cause it's not rattling. Maybe I'll get a magnet from Harbor Freight and try to get it, but it's ok if I don't.
After dinner, I got back at it to do the initial burn in and pair the cooker with my phone's MB app. Everything went good, haven't got a wi-fi connection yet, but the bluetooth connection is solid. Tomorrow I'll fiddle with the wi-fi again.
I'm probably ordering the cover for it tomorrow. I plan to do a couple racks of ribs and maybe some bbq beans tomorrow for a shakedown cook and have a 18 pound brisket waiting for me to have time to put it on.
A big, huge thanks to my wife for letting me indulge my hobby

Reactions: negolien
Congrats! You have a great Wife and, from reviews so far, a great smoker. Looking at them hard to replace my old MES...JJ

• Haha
I'm really looking forward to seeing one of these in a store.
I have no place to put another smoker, but this one really got my attention.
Al

I’m sure you’ll be happy with it. The few things I have cooked on it so far have had a very good smoke flavor, something I’ve missed for a very long time. Really happy with the 560 so far, haven’t used my pellet smoker since I got this.

I have a feeling that some of the charcoal dropped through the grates (I've had that happen when I pour in a lump at the start of a cook...the smaller pieces drop through). No reason whatsoever to place charcoal in the ash pan. These machines are awesome...enjoy!

PS: Once a quick tip is to put a large folded piece of foil under the charcoal chute lid. This helps protect the gaskets from getting gunked up and such with creosote.

I'm really looking forward to seeing one of these in a store.
I have no place to put another smoker, but this one really got my attention.
Al

FYI, I got this at my local Walmart. Bought online. It's time they start putting out their spring displays, you might be lucky to see one on display soon

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky