My latest whole turkey with Q-View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

missmechante

Original poster
May 23, 2008
Here's the turkey I mentioned in my Roll Call post...I love smoked turkey! The meat is so versatile, and the bones make the best stock, gives a great smoky flavor to greens or gravy or soup.

Did it a little differently this time....I usually brine them, but this time I realized I was out of kosher salt, so I gave it a good rubdown with my homemade dry rub and put it in the fridge overnight. In the morning I picked some herbs out of the garden and mixed them with soft butter, then crammed a bunch of that under the skin. I like to loosen the skin all over the breast and thigh area with a chopstick so I can get the butter all over the meat under the skin. Then since I had the bacon out already to make some ABTs, I put a few strips over the breast (first time trying this). I smoke em breast up.

Smoked about 5 hours, spraying with apple juice now and then. I also did not soak the chips....I usually do, but after reading some threads on the forum I tried using them dry. I think it worked even better! Fantastic smoky flavor and I used less wood than usual. The bacon was great, super smoky and toothy texture.

Don't know why I didn't take a picture of the ABTs (first batch ever) but there will be plenty more to come in the future, I'm going to make some every time I smoke! Did a simple filling of chorizo and shredded cheddar. Did not precook the sausage, and it came out perfectly done.

2 of my dawgs hoping to get lucky!

That looks great! I haven't tried turkey yet, but it will come in time. Still trying to get control of the smoker. Them hounds look they're ready for some grub.

Excellent q-view. Look forward to more.

turkey looks good, i doin a brined one today, hope comes out looking as good as yours, great job!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky