My Free Grill

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Johnny Ray

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 22, 2019
Western, KY
Neighbor down the street had this grill sitting out behind his shop. I had never seen him use it so I asked him about it. He said it had been sitting there for 16 years without being used and that I could have it if I wanted it. I said I sure do.
It was pretty rusted up. The castors were almost rusted away but had good bones and the fire box portion is made out of 1/4” steel and the top part 3/16”. One really weird thing about the design is having to remove the entire top to get to whatever you’re grilling. It’s a two person job.
555EC903-0567-4D7D-A6AF-A7B8EBF909D8.jpeg

606FE558-AF09-4A56-BD62-4DC91E2FC446.jpeg

I got it home and began thinking about a upgrade/ design and this is what I came up with.
Added a fire box, shelf, smoke stack, castors, stainless steel cooking grates, heat baffle and temp gages.
A2F910D8-02FF-4B94-9009-4D1EBD6CB194.jpeg

D6F6EF6E-6BA7-4DFA-8508-9A187D045517.jpeg

27E6FB3C-F296-4262-81B0-B1E0FBADB934.jpeg

04921E31-20B3-445F-91B9-CEA3A0D187B1.jpeg

One of the coolest things about this design is it’s a reverse flow but by simply removing the heat baffle and rotating the top 180* it can be run as a traditional offset.
Hope to finish burning her in and and get a cook under my belt soon.

PS: I paid someone to do the welding / mods and to have it sand blasted and painted. Also purchased the temp gages and castors.

So much for my free grill!
Johnny Ray

Neighbor down the street had this grill sitting out behind his shop. I had never seen him use it so I asked him about it. He said it had been sitting there for 16 years without being used and that I could have it if I wanted it. I said I sure do.
PS: I paid someone to do the welding / mods and to have it sand blasted and painted. Also purchased the temp gages and castors.

So much for my free grill!
Johnny Ray
That is a beast. Congrats on the find.

Reminds me of the free McCulloch chainsaws I've been given by friends.
The first one cost me $80 to repair after a couple of times.
The last one had a stuck rewind my son fixed. Now it needs a chain and bar.

Reactions: Johnny Ray
So cool. Great job on the project. I am envious of your skill to be able to do that. Hope to see some of your cooks on her posted soon.

So cool. Great job on the project. I am envious of your skill to be able to do that. Hope to see some of your cooks on her posted soon.
Thanks SG. All I had was the design idea and cash. My welding buddy had the real skills to do the mods.

JR

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky