My first RF smoker build, any help would be appreciated

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I spray the inside with cheapo canola oil, using one of those 20 oz squeeze trigger sprayers, firebox too,

I recommend keeping a full bottle handy , and spray the inside before and after each use. It will make the smoker much easier to maintain. The only time I rinse mine out is right before I get ready to cook, usually just drain off any liquids and pick off the left over it'd bits, and sweep out the firebox with a brush. The times I did wash it after cooking, I ended up with mold growing inside. Never happens when I just leave it dirty, something about the heat and smoke I guess?....

just put a water pan between the grill and the plate.

you want have any hot spot.

michel

Your smoker turned out Amazing

Hope mine turns out half as nice just a question where do you get those CC lock down handels

Dockman,

the length of the stack is what Feldons Smoker Calculator required it to be with the numbers I punched in. I could have made it larger in diameter and it would have shortened the length but I kinda like its look as it is.

But I may have to re visit that decision because right now it wont fit in the garage HAHA

Weev & Bishgeo,

The Boys are right, they are called toggle clamps or toggle latches. I bought mine at a local steel supplier, but a lot of places carry them

http://www.kck.com/bbq-pro-door-latch-small.html

Here is another place that carries them, I also bought my door thermometers from this place.

Go back a few pages in my build it will show you how I fixed my door with the same problem your experiencing (bishgeo).

Last edited:
You could try cutting out some door ribs out of 1/4 flat plate. I took a piece of cardboard laid it up against the CC sides with the door open, traced the radius with a black marker. Then cut it out and used it as a template for the ribs.  Tack weld the ribs in place and reshape your door as you go. It should fit the CC radius fine when done. Worked for me.

FIRED UP !!!!!

Well today I finally fired up the smoker to season it. Sprayed the inside down with peanut oil and started its first burn. It only took about a half hour to get it up to 250, and only a 5+ degree difference between the right and left side. The heat baffle worked amazing (Thanks, Dave & Ribwizzard) Really happy with how it turned out, Many Thanks To All Who Offered Help, Suggestions, Drawings And Ideas ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Very nice looking unit!!

What size toggle clamps did you use from the Toggle Clamp Store? The LT-431 is 700 lbs ($6.42) holding power and the LT-40342 ($9.95) is 2000 lbs holding power. KCK price for the LT-431 looks like $23. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky