My first RF smoker build, any help would be appreciated

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Make both of them removable... weld a little tab on the bottom side where the RF plate rests against the angle iron... they will stay there.... 

Dave

I agree with Dave, made both of mine removable.

Gary

Tel-Tru Thermometers, OK I have two Tel-Tru thermometers where should they be placed on the door? I'm placing one on each end, should they go in the middle, towards the top, or towards the bottom?

I know they are just there to give me an idea of the temp in the CC, but where should I place them to get the best idea of the CC temp?

Trying to remember, are you going with one cooking grate or two ?

Gary

I have two racks and one thermometer. I placed mine in-between the racks so I will get an average temp. My top rack on the opposite end of the stack gets the hottest.

Gary

That is a good paint,  we have been using it with good results, a couple of good coats should do the trick. DO NOT PAINT THE INSIDE !!!  When you get it all done and ready to fire up you will want to season it before you smoke any meat.

Gary

Try a hardware store that sells wood stoves or pellet stoves.......   they should have it..  or online...   Dave

Do a search.....         wood stove door gasket material

Can't leave a link, but do a google search for BBQ gaskets, should be near the top of the list.  I got the gaskets for my SFB from them, they are very knowledgeable and helpful, great customer service.

Hardware store, Amazon, I have bought from both of these. The last gasket  we did was on the Vertical, insulated RF. Started with the glue-on rope type, (got at the local stove and grill supply) wasn't happy and ended going with a tadpole gasket we screwed on. But the rope type you can get just about anywhere.

Gary

Going to weld on some npt fitting's for the thermometers on the door so they can be removeable, and try to weld on some tabs to hold up the removable RF plates. Also got to weld on some kind of arm to hold up my shelf that sits in front of the CC door. then its off to the sandblasters.

Got two quotes so far for blasting inside and out, one at $225.00 and one at $400.00. that's and big spread in price both places are pretty reputable.

Tel-Tru Thermometers, OK I have two Tel-Tru thermometers where should they be placed on the door? I'm placing one on each end, should they go in the middle, towards the top, or towards the bottom?

I know they are just there to give me an idea of the temp in the CC, but where should I place them to get the best idea of the CC temp?
Morning..... Where did you get the Thermometers and why did you decide to get those, are these the recommended ones from folks on the SMF..... If you get that weird feeling that someone is peeping over your shoulder during your build..... Thats Me....Have a great day

This is the Tadpole gasket we ended op using

dsimage.php

Alaska,

These are the ones I got from BBQ Bonanza I'll post the link at the bottom. Yes they are the ones that I have found most of the builds using, Some guys use one, some two or more. I decided to go with two, one on the right and one on the left sides of the door.

They are really a nice thermometer, well built and also have some weight to them. Here's the link, this place shipped them really quick, I also got my door hinges from this guy. I don't know if I could have found them cheaper but I try and buy from the little guy or small business when I can.

http://kck.com/tel-tru_grill_smoker_thermometer.html

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky