My first RF smoker build, any help would be appreciated

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Actually it is a screw down. If your application had a grove you could push the tail into the grove. But we screwed ours with flathead SS screws. If you ever need to change it no mess.

Gary

When building a RF like this do you guys make grease trap run down hill? Also what does grease run into?
Most put a slight drop from one end to the other on their RF plates, I did not, mine is installed level.  My grease runs into a pipe that is in the center of the RF plate on the opposite end from the FB, down to a 1" ball valve under the pit.  Whenever I clean my pit, I just hang a 3 gallon bucket under the valve and wash all the grease and buildup down the drain. In the pic, you can see the valve under the left end of the CC.

I put my RF in perfectly level also.  I cook LOTS.  Usually at least 200 lbs a weekend.  My smoker has only greased up with the 43 turkeys I did at Thanksgiving.  Otherwise I just scrape cooked on drippings up into a pile and use the drain in the rinse out phase.

See, most of the grease and liquid burn up or form a crust when it hits the RF plate anyway. I put mine at a slight angle toward the drain. The only time I really notice anything dripping in my bucket is when I cook sausage or a lot of fatty stuff.

Gary

Agreed with Gary, most of it just hardens and crusts over, even after cooking a couple briskets and ribs during a comp, I will probably not get more than a couple cups of grease from the drain.

ITS DONE, FINALLY !!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for being away so long, my youngest encountered some health problems and that took up all of our time. he is doing better but not out of the woods yet, but a least we can see daylight through the trees !

Here it is all finished.

Firebrick in the bottom of FB to help avoid burnout

pullout FB grate

Made both RF plates removeable

FB intakes

put an intake on FB door to help with flow down the RF plates

Dual tel-tru temps

folding and removable shelf

slide out cooking grate

Thanks to every ones help in this build, this forum is amazing ! Going to try and do a seasoning burn this week, and cook on it next weekend. Just in time for Summer party's by the pool. Once again THANKS everyone !

Great job, first class. You put a lot of thought into all areas of this smoker and it shows, very very nice, Ready to see smoke coming out.

Gary

Ribwizzard, first cook will either be ribs or pork butt. The youngest wants a whole hog, he likes to keep me on my toes.

I have another question: lets talk seasoning the inside of the CC. do I use peanut oil, crisco, or something else? From what Ive read I heat up the smoker and spray the inside with peanut oil, sound about right?  Also how do I keep the inside of the FB from rusting later on?

To reduce most of the rust, keep the inside rinsed out to remove the salt... That should help a lot... and keep it sprayed with oil....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky