My first prime rib

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Beautiful! Don't sweat the week in the Refer. I been doing it for 20 years. Just wrap the Rib Roast, actually any Roast Beef, in Cheese Cloth and place it on a roasting or cooling rack in a Pan. Put the whole deal in the bottom of your Fridge for 5-7 Days, up to 10 days if it is a refer that is rarely open, changing the cloth every couple of days as it gets moist. When ready to Smoke, trim any seriously dry patches, add your rub and procede as usual. There is nothing that will get on the meat that will not be killed in the smoker. Just don't let anybody store Salad stuff near the meat. Opening the Refer Door 20X a day puts more Bacteria in the Fridge than that meat will in a week...You might like this recipe too...JJ

Smokey Au Jus

1- Lg Onion,

4-5 Carrots,

3-4 Ribs Celery

3-4 Peeled Cloves of Garlic

Toss them in a pan under the Beef, and let the whole deal Smoke for one hour,

THEN add 4-6 Cups Beef Broth,

2 Tbs Tomato Paste,

1/2tsp Dry Thyme (4-5 sprigs Fresh)

1-2 ea Bayleaf

Finish the Smoking process to the IT you want.

While the Roast is resting, dump the pan juices veggies and all into a 2-3Qt Sauce pot and add 1Cup Red Wine, something you like to drink, and bring the Jus to a boil, lower the heat and simmer 20-30 minutes. Strain out the veggies and let the Jus rest a minute or so for the Fat to rise. Skim off the bulk of the fat then using strips of paper towel laid on top of the Jus then quickly removed, take off the last little bit of fat.

The purpose of Smoking the Vegetable for 1 hour before adding the Broth and Herbs is...The Smoked vegetables Roast in the Dry heat concentrating their Flavors and Sweetness giving the finished Jus a Richer, Deeper, Full Flavor.

Serve the sliced Beef Au Jus or thicken the Jus to make Gravy.
that sounds so good and pretty simple to do . .  I will be trying this out as soon as I can, thanks for sharing

Thoughts: Looks mighty damn fine to me!
Suggestions: Pack it up and ship it overnight to me!
Criticisms: Nary a one!
Looks-Great.gif
  Well Said!    

WOW, looks super delicous!!!!!!  I've got a small rib roast in my fridge that'll be aged 2 weeks by Friday,  I just slather it with olive oil and place it on a rack to allow air circulation.  Hopefully going in the smoker by this weekend.

Nice job on the Prime Rib, Aklee987,

I take mine just a bit further -135 IT.

When I take it a prime rib or ribeye roast out of my smoker and tent it, I leave a temperature probe in the roast.

This allows me to continue to monitor the temp, The temp continues to rise as it sits on the counter. I do not cut into the meat until the temperature has stopped rising and begins to drop back down (a couple of degrees). I find that this sometimes takes 45 minutes or so to begin dropping.

Last edited:
If your meat is tender and juicy you don't née the au jus.
That looks like a work of art. I've been watching the sale flyers trying to catch Ron roasts on sale to give one a try.

That meat looked absolutely awesome to me. I haven't tried a prime rib yet. I did make Chef JJs au jus under a couple of two inch thick Porterhouses and its a great recipe! I guess the initial smoke of the vegetables dry makes them pick up a deep and rich smoke flavor but, its easy and tastes great! I need to try a prime rib now.

Scott

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky