$20/lb for Select grade Prime Rib? Nope.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

noboundaries

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 7, 2013
Roseville, CA, a suburb of Sacramento
Every year around Christmas I buy a 3 to 5 bone Select grade prime rib. I slice it into Cowboy steaks, vac-seal each one, and throw them in the freezer. My wife and I get two meals off each steak.

The price has varied from $6/lb (3‐4 yrs ago) to $9/lb last year. This year. The lowest I've seen in my area (NorCal) is $20/lb...for Select grade. I'm not paying that and hopefully others won't either.

Winco, my preferred grocer, hasn't stocked any prime ribs to date in my area. I haven't done any research, but this feels like a low supply/high price issue. Interesting.

Come to pa, we have choice rib roast for 4.99, we're selling choice tenderloins for 16.99. Wonder why they're selling select for 20.00, guess they really don't want to eating meat

Last edited:
I don't even like prime rib or rib steaks anymore - they're just too fatty and I have lost my taste for them. I use to love them - I could eat a 40-ounce rib chop like it was a snack - a couple times a week - but that was back in my 40's when I was rollin in tall cotton, at Maestro's Steak house in Scottsdale...

I am glad that I do not do that anymore - especially in light of HEB selling not really that great Prime bone in rib eyes for $29.11 or bone in select for $12.47 per pound...

It's a crook's world!

Last edited:
HEB selling not really that great Prime bone in rib eyes for $29.11 or bone in select for $12.47 per pound...

It's a crook's world!

That's an accurate statement in my neck of the woods.

5.99 for chouce at publix last week
Ahhh. I can only dream. I will miss tthose steaks.

Reactions: Retired Spook
I paid $5.98/lb the other day for cubed steaks. CUBED STEAKS! The prices for beef are out of control around here.

Packers run mid $4/lb for Choice or better.

Are tri-tip still a bargain?
Compared to the east coast...yeah. Price is $5.98/lb regularly for Choice (untrimmed), $3.98/lb on sale. I will see a rare sale of $2.98/lb on Select grade (untrimmed), which is still plenty tender, especially if dry brined.

Every year around Christmas I buy a 3 to 5 bone Select grade prime rib. I slice it into Cowboy steaks, vac-seal each one, and throw them in the freezer. My wife and I get two meals off each steak.

The price has varied from $6/lb (3‐4 yrs ago) to $9/lb last year. This year. The lowest I've seen in my area (NorCal) is $20/lb...for Select grade. I'm not paying that and hopefully others won't either.

Winco, my preferred grocer, hasn't stocked any prime ribs to date in my area. I haven't done any research, but this feels like a low supply/high price issue. Interesting.
They saw you coming, I got one in the East Bay Area of Norcal for $5.99 a pound a few weeks ago. I see them regularly for under $12.00 per pound, join Restaurant Supply by joining the KCBS organization.

I thought the Kroger price and limit was per day but alas it is not, limit 2 . wanted to pu a few more and was shot down lol

Reactions: JLeonard
I thought the Kroger price and limit was per day but alas it is not, limit 2 . wanted to pu a few more and was shot down lol
If anyone you know has a Kroger account and isn't buying them use their phone number on the keypad at checkout. Need to make sure their number is associated with their account. You can always open a separate account under a spouse or gf number as well. I'm doing that with the $0.99 spiral hams later in the week.

I am unaware of the limit of 2 being for the week. It's always been per day or per purchase here in Ga. I'll be looking into that today if they're still on sale here. Interesting.

$4-5.99 here every Xmas and Easter. I bought 36 lbs last year that are vac sealed in the freezer. I am getting like spooky, they are just too fatty for me.

Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky